First incubation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by poarch0, Dec 18, 2016.

1. poarch0

poarch0 Just Hatched

Dec 18, 2016
    Boomer, NC
    wanted to say thanks for all the info. My wife and I recently began raising our on flock about 9 months or so.
    We've had a broody hen lay on a dozen eggs or so we had 6 survivors 2 Roos, 4 hens. Then we had a dog come through and kill 12 hens and a roo including the broody hen. After taking care of the dog, we decided we were gonna try incubating a few chicks lol. 41. We've never been able to start something without going all in.
    What day should we candle our eggs to remove unfertiles?
    What are we looking for when we candle? I've seen pics but we're noobs.
    Thanks in advance

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    :welcome! Sorry for your losses! I've had a dog take out my flock before too.

Candle on day five to start seeing growth, candle again on day ten and toss any clears. If you see any obvious blood rings or early deaths before then feel free to toss them, they will never grow. Here's a handy candling chart with real pictures to help you out:

[​IMG]

3. poarch0

poarch0 Just Hatched

Dec 18, 2016
    Boomer, NC
    Thank you I didn't see that chart, wasn't sure if candling them to much was possible. Should be interesting. It's day 6 should I wait to candle till day 10. Another question I forgot to ask, we had some eggs crack so we waxed them should I get my hopes up or not lol

4. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

I candle at days 7, 14, and 18 (right before lockdown). You could candle today, if you so desire, but just keep in mind that each time you do, it will affect the humidity in the incubator and you risk dropping eggs...I haven't yet, but I know it happens. Vein development should be visible at day 6, as well as the embryonic "blob".

I haven't personally had a repaired egg hatch, but there are several threads on here where people have, so there's hope.

Best wishes for a great hatch! :fl

5. poarch0

poarch0 Just Hatched

Dec 18, 2016
    Boomer, NC
    My wife and I candled today. We put in 42 eggs. 30 for sure are veiny and can see the blob. Including the waxed eggs. I didn't realize my wife had waxed more than 1. All four are veiny and we can see the blob. We have 6 real dark marans that I can't see veins but can see something. The last 6 don't look good but I'm going to leave them in, they are darker eggs and I'm not 100%. On giving up yet. Good news is all 4 of our white leghorn eggs are looking good. Our leghorns were some of the ones that were killed. They should come out austria whites.
    Appreciate everything I'll keep updating from time to time

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I absolutely love hatching white eggs b/c they are so much fun to candle. It's like looking through a light bulb. So exciting to see those babies dancing inside the shells. My favorite days to candle are days 7 - 10. I candle a single egg (and sometimes more) on each of those days, simply to get a view of those little miracles.

7. poarch0

poarch0 Just Hatched

Dec 18, 2016
    Boomer, NC
    It shouldn't hurt to keep the ones I'm not sure about incubating?

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Generally not. I'd sooner keep them than risk tossing a viable egg. However, pay special attention to those eggs, and be sure to sniff them occasionally. If they start to go bad, your nose may pick it up before you have a leaker or bomb!

9. poarch0

poarch0 Just Hatched

Dec 18, 2016
    Boomer, NC
    Dang I hope not, I didn't smell any when we candles them. We didn't feel confident enough to throw any out. We just got a few more dwarf chickens not sure what they are but they funny. Who would of thought that raising chickens would be addictive

10. poarch0

poarch0 Just Hatched

Dec 18, 2016
    Boomer, NC
    Day 21 no chicks yet :(. Should we Worry or not worry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by