First Incubator Eggs Pipping

AmesHillFarm

Songster
Jan 31, 2020
So, we got out meat chicks as day olds via mail and I got some chicks for layers from another member of the board. So you'd think over fifty chicks would be enough......

But nope, I found an incubator cheap at Goodwill and had to try it out. Grabbed a carton of eggs at our local pizza/convenience store (they are from a local farm and I had noted previously when cooking with them their eggs were fertilized) and put them in.

21 days later and we have pips!

AmesHillFarm

Songster
Jan 31, 2020
Update: The three that had pipped last night were hatched out this morning. Leaving them in to dry and fluff. The other eggs got pushed around a bit, can't see any pips on them. Will double check when I get the chicks out later.

Any idea what they are?
Probably hard to tell at this point...
But mystery hatching sounds fun : D

Two are grey/black all over and one is more brown looking with a stripe down the back I think [might lighten up once dryer?]. The eggs that hatched were dark brown but there were beige, light brown, and blue ones in the batch too......so.....looks like they came from a diverse flock, could be any sort of barnyard cross.

Will post pics once they're out of the incubator. ❤

(Definitely plan on doing more mystery hatches in the future, going to make some improvements on the bator first.) 👍

Last edited:

AmesHillFarm

Songster
Jan 31, 2020
20200607_160210.jpg

AmesHillFarm

Songster
Jan 31, 2020
As you can see, one of the black ones has a spot on its head, the other has a light chest and belly. The third is definitely brown.

For anyone interested, that is an old crockpot in the corner that my dad made into a mini brooder for me.

None of the other eggs did anything, opened them up out of curiosity. Three hadn't done anything. One was full of black stinky goo. 😕🤮 We had previously removed others that clearly weren't growing when candled.

Top Bottom