First incubator...

stanglover2001

Songster
9 Years
Apr 29, 2010
wee.gif
I just ordered an incubator online last night!!! First one! It's a brinsea mini advance, now only waiting for them to ship it...
woot.gif

I've not been able to stop checking my email to see when I'll be receiving it since the website was vague and never mentioned shipping dates...
caf.gif

I ordered one too recently. Should be here Tuesday!!!! Going to have some Nankin Bantam eggs ready to go when I set it up. Can't wait!!!!
ya.gif

And congrats!!!!

The humidity pump is attached to the incubator. The digital display and controls are on the incubator. You raise the humidity and the pump works to do so. Unfortunately, it will NOT lower a humidity that is too high. For that, lift the lid and let some escape, as long as it's before any eggs have pipped. Temp is restored very quickly.

The instructions for the MiniAdvance model say to put water in one side of the reservoir for the first 18 days, then fill both sides for lockdown. That works well. I do keep a small hygrometer inside the 'bator to keep an eye on the humidity for my MiniAdvance models.

I went to PetSmart and looked in the reptile section, picked up a Fluker's hygrometer and thermometer two-pack, for $6.99. It was small enough to put inside the MiniAdvance and sort of prop it up between eggs. Of course, when the turning plate moved the eggs, the hygrometer fell over, but I just opened the lid every day really quickly to check the hygrometer if I couldn't see the display side.

Those MiniAdvance units recover temp LIKE THAT! < snaps fingers > And don't lose much humidity if you lift the lid and return it quickly. It stays within range.

What I would do is have a cup of warm water handy and if the hygrometer I turned over to read showed a low reading, then I'd use that time to add water to ONE side of the reservoir. NOT BOTH. If the humidity was within range, I didn't have to add any water. I generally had to add water every 3 days.

Back
Top Bottom