1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First injuries: My largest Golden Comet has been pecked....help please...UPDATED, PLEASE READ AND HE

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by countrycakelady, Aug 7, 2013.

1. countrycakelady

countrycakelady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    Eastern NC
    I was hoping that I would have a long time before I had to post this type of post, as in NEVER, lol......

I have a beautiful Golden Comet in my flock of 14, Red Sex Links, a White Orpington, and Golden Comets....went to let them go free ranging and collect the eggs, and noticed my beauty was being pecked on the side of her head, a little blood but enough.....got Blue Kote...cleaned her up with some Betadaine wash, dried her, and applied the Blue Kote. There are still several who are 'noticing' her.....she is getting away from them, they are all out doing their things.....do I need to do more? I HATE this......and yes, they do seem to be trying to establish the dreaded 'pecking order'.....ugh! The attitudes are flying, rofl.......

UPDATE: I have secluded her in an empty small clean dog coop....complete with a perch, food and water....she is NOT happy. :( She is crying and whimpering, if a chicken can do that....she wants to be with the others, but as soon as daybreak comes, they will start again....I do intend to let her do lots of 'free ranging' by herself as much as I can.....I applied some Neosporin ointment to the wound, the Blu Kote seems to attract the others, they were constantly picking her, ALL of them now.....everyone is up and in their places for tonite. What else do I need to do? When I went out to check on her this afternoon, there were 2 who were coming towards her...she flew straight up into my arms! EEK! I was not prepared...and she would not move. Bless her heart...I could cry for this.... :(

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I like to take a lawnchair and sit with my chickens to watch the behavior, and then I can find out if there is a bully. The bully can be isolated for a few days, which should lower her in the pecking order.

3. countrycakelady

Mar 16, 2012
    Eastern NC
    They are 18 weeks old this week, has the pecking order been established, or are they working on it? First time chicken mama here....

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Usually by that age they are pretty well settled unless new birds have been added. I agree with spending some time watching carefully and see if you have an instigator that needs a time out.

5. countrycakelady

Mar 16, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Can anyone here please read and give any advice on my situation? I am really worried about her.....thank you for the help. :(

6. iheartnh

iheartnh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2013
    Derry, NH
    Are you looking for advice on her injuries, or on how to stop the behavior? I ask because I think the others are correct if you want suggestions on how to change the dynamic - figure out which bird is the ring leader for a while, let the remaining birds re-establish the order, then bring the ring leader back in as the low bird. If you try this and your Comet is still a target, consider re-homing her - it will be difficult for you, but better for her.

I had a similar issue with my favorite little chook in June - she was getting picked on by the lead hen, and then the others would follow the lead hen's behavior. I was in the process of arranging a quarantine situation for the mean girl, but ended up not needing to because we lost my favorite to an obstructed airway.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    When i first got chickens, I got 23 different breeds--2 of these, 2 of those...I wanted to find out what breeds I liked best. Well, a friend took all 4 of my wyandottes because they were bullies, even though they were pretty. I like chickens to get along, so if I have a trouble maker, I will give them a chance to become nice, but then they go. Some breeds are easier going, and of course there are exceptions to that. I have herad many say their wyandottes are sweet, but my hatchery girls were not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by