First injury... ack! What else can I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Geckochick, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Geckochick

Geckochick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2011
    One of my flock is injured! I am not sure how it happened -- she has a small gaping wound on her wing; no one else is hurt. And, they were all pecking at her when I arrived in the coop this morning. So.... we have put her in a dog crate in the coop with food and water. Isolated but not away -- is that right? And, can I do anything for the wound?? It is clean, but I do worry about infection or flies....

The biggest problem is that we are going away for three nights leaving this afternoon!! My mother in law is coming to stay at the house, and is pretty comfy with animals and ailments (this was her farm before), but I don't want to leave all stressed out over my poor bird. What else can I do???

Thanks, in advance.

2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

Good job with seperating her but still letting them see her and her see them, that will prevent pecking order from being established again. Put neosporin on the wound it will help prevent infection and is safe for chickens.[​IMG]

3. Geckochick

Jul 16, 2011
    Thank you! I have polysporin, is that ok?? I will have DH pick up some neosporin when he is in town today.

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Ideally initially gently clean wound with 9 parts water/1 part betadine. Then apply neosporin daily (polysporin is okay till you pick up the neosporin today, then switch over). That and lots of TLC should do the trick. Make sure she is eating and drinking okay. If not, could mean infection and/or pain. If the wound is just surficial the topical antibiotic should do the trick. If deep, oral or injectible antibiotic may be necessary to beat back infection. If in pain (which can can diminish desire to eat/drink) a baby aspirin (81 mg) can be crushed in a cup of drinking water, fresh batch twice daily ideally. To encourage eating/drinking, fresh cut up bits of favorite fruits can be dunked in the aspirin water and hand fed.
    Isolated but not away is good. She needs to heal before reintegrating with the little vultures.
    If she's stressed, a drop or two of Rescue Remedy in her water may help (Bach flower remedy available in most any health food store and good pharmacies)
    Hope she'll be okay.
    JJ

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  5. Geckochick

Jul 16, 2011
    Thanks! How long would a small flesh wound generally take to heal in a young chicken (LOL.... questions I never thought I would ask anywhere....)?

6. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Depends on the bird, nature of wound, level of care.........
    JJ

7. Geckochick

Jul 16, 2011
    OK, so we kept her in the crate since last week when she was injured and the injury was healed up, but no feathers yet. DH was itching to let her back in with the flock, so he released her this morning. I just went down to check on her, and sure enough they have pecked the spot open again. Did they do this because it has no feathers at that spot? Or is she just the one they will pick on forever?

I have re-cleaned, re-applied ointment and re-isolated her. I am guessing I need to wait this time until she has her feathers back at that spot? It is no where near as raw as it was last time, just re-opened. Not as sore looking, not bleeding.... Poor girl. She was not impressed to be put back in the crate, and seemed very happy among her friends in the run again. But, I don't want them to eat her....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by