First Injury-Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenLady143, Jan 19, 2016.

1. ChickenLady143

ChickenLady143 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2015
    Indiana
    Well I have spotted blood on one of my hens for the first time tonight. Upon looking at her, it appears the tip of her nail has broken off. It is bleeding, but not badly.

Any advice on what I should do or try?
    Thanks

2. chicktb

chicktb New Egg

Sep 15, 2015
    My Rooster got Frost bite on his comb. How log will it take him to recover from this. He's in house now. Very weak.help what do I do

3. ChickenLady143

Sep 12, 2015
    Indiana
    I am not sure. I am new to chickens and cannot give any good advice. Hope your Rooster gets better!

4. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts

Wash the foot with soap and water. Dab with a 50/50 solution of iodine and water. Blot dry with paper towels and apply some styptic powder or corn starch to the nail to promote clotting. If its not too bad and bleeding stops then put her back in the coop. If it takes a while to clot and looks like it will start easily then keep her separate on an old towel and pop her on the roost at night. That way the nail has a chance to clot up through the night before she walks around on it and gets it dirty again.

5. ChickenLady143

Sep 12, 2015
    Indiana
    Thank you. No more bleeding!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by