First jelly egg question.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bburn, Dec 31, 2010.

1. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Just came in from the large coop. Found one egg in one nest and my first jelly egg in the other. I had never seen one myself so I am a little curious about the whole thing. My chickens are all around seven months old with the exception of two EE's that have recently been intergrated into the flock. I have no idea who laid this soft egg.

This is what I got.
    [​IMG]

Is this just a glitch in someones system? Do I need to be concerned? Is this how it is supposed to look. The egg and it looks like an umbilical cord attached with a little empty sack???

Just wondering.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  2. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    Yup, normal w/ new layers, so Ive been told anyways. I've gotten 3-4 of them in the past 2 months, since my girls started laying. They are kinda icky, aren't they? [​IMG]
    I up their calcium intake w/ some supplemental yogurt/cottage cheese.

3. bburn

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    I will. I usually give them yogurt a couple of times a week. Also greens if I can get them. It really was not gross....just kind of facinating. Am thinking it is maybe one of the new girls...the EE's. None of the others have ever had an issue. Thanks for the response. Just was wondering!

4. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

oh... [​IMG] so we aren't talking about Easter candy here [​IMG]

5. bburn

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Nope....no easter candy. But I did tell my DH that I was going to cook it up for him for breakfast. Not sure it even has a yolk in it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by