first lil piggy went to market :-(

ChicknJ

Songster
11 Years
Jul 7, 2008
Central Florida
well, I knew this day was coming, but gosh darn, it isn't easy. My husband and I just dropped off the first of our two yorkie gilts. I reminded myself always what these girls were here for, but geez, ........I sure don't like this part of the deal.

Trying to keep in mind the goal of raising our own meat and veggies. I guess in retrospect, I'm glad it's bothering me and I'm grateful for the opportunity to raise them.

It is better when you get back nicely packaged meat. It is really better when you cook some.........what a difference in taste!!!!!!
I have hauled pigs and cattle to the butchers. I cannot eat my goats or it seems chickens either...
hide.gif

I am happy to say we can do quail.

I guess since we've been raising chickens for meat so long that when we took our steer 2 weeks ago to the butcher it didn't bother me AT ALL.

You have to look at it this way...You did the right thing, loving and caring for the meat that you eat.

Everytime we butcher chickens, pigs or cows we always have to listen to my family say how SAD it is. I got in their face one day to explain what a wonderful life our animals have had instead of growing up in a feed lot and being shipped to a slaughterhouse. We feel better about ourselves knowing we don't support the cruelty of animals. Besides, the food tastes soooo much better then what you buy at the grocery store.

There's nothing wrong with feeling sad
hugs.gif
I bet all the love you feel will make the meat taste even better
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom