first look out the ADOR1

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jewelwing, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Jewelwing

Jewelwing Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2013
    East Central Illinois
    Here are some pictures of my 10 week old pullets getting their first look out the open ADOR1. No one was brave enough to try it yet!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Those are great pics!

What are the rows of sliver circles?

3. sn0wwhite

sn0wwhite Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    MN
    So cute! I love the blue color too... that's what color I'm doing. Would love to see more pictures as well. I just placed my ADOR1 order on Friday.

4. Jewelwing

Jul 15, 2013
    East Central Illinois
    Oh, those are washers. The ADOR1 is in a skinny wall next to the big people door, so the siding is narrow and you're seeing both sides of it where it's attached to the framing. My husband thought screws wouldn't hold it well enough, so I used washers too. It ended up looking kind of cool, I think!

5. Jewelwing

Jul 15, 2013
    East Central Illinois
    Here are more pictures. The coop isn't done yet - I'm going to add an awning and cover the top of the run in hardware cloth. The hardware cloth "skirt" around the run isn't buried yet. Also, the roof isn't finished. It's going to have a pond liner on it, and a frame around it so it can hold dirt. Then we'll plant something on top (maybe hen & chicks, hee hee)!

[​IMG]

I'm just using mis-tint paint from Ace and leftover paint from our house (we're haven't finished building it yet either!). I ran out of green, so I had to use some purple on the run. The stuff on the ground on the side of the run is metal roofing that is going to go on the awning (left over from the pole barn we built 8 years ago). The run is actually just hardware cloth all around - nothing solid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Nice!

Love the apron...might want to put more apron down on the corners too.

Make sure you support the HC roof well with rafters as it will hold snow.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  7. Jewelwing

Jul 15, 2013
    East Central Illinois
    Thanks!

Yes, I wasn't done with the cloth around the corners (I didn't think anyone would notice in the pictures!). I'm going to put extra pieces "sewn" onto the existing ones with galvanized wire. It'll be impenetrable! I hope...

The roof is supported by three 4x6 beams running lengthwise (which are in turn supported by the walls). The two side beams have grooves cut in them to fit on the studs, for extra stability. The roof planks are t&g 2x6s. I hope all that is enough to support wet dirt and snow. The stretch between the top beam and the side beams is about 3-1/2 feet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Actually I meant the run roof of hardware cloth :)

9. jmarie

jmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2012
    Hampton, VA
    Quote: This is the best pic ever!!!
    I have had an ADOR door for 6 months now and cannot say enough good things about it!!!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  10. Jewelwing

Jul 15, 2013
    East Central Illinois
    Thanks - I thought it was funny! I got 4 of my 5 different breeds in it, so I was happy about that too, besides the looks on their faces. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by