First loss and possible bear attack

Bobohunter1776

Chirping
Sep 21, 2020
Evergreen, Colorado
Lost our first chicken. Fox somehow opened the door and devoured 1. Also had something try to get in a few days before. Bear?
20201021_065428.jpg

Lost our first chicken. Fox somehow opened the door and devoured 1. Also had something try to get in a few days before. Bear?View attachment 2402159
I'm sorry for your loss. Troublesome predators. Every thing likes chicken dinner 🍽 😋
Why are you thinking bear? What happened?
How are you going to prevent chicken dinner?

Lost our first chicken. Fox somehow opened the door and devoured 1. Also had something try to get in a few days before. Bear?View attachment 2402159
Nah, probably dog.
Pics showing whole coop, with something for scale, would help here.

Welcome to BYC! @Bobohunter1776
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1604758426082.png

So Sorry for your loss. Electric wires around your coop and run can discourage most predators including a bear but a good fence charger is necessary. I would suggest a fence charger of at least 2 joules for a bear. Most predators examine first with their nose. If they get a good zap, they shouldn't come back. Some people bait their wire so the predator will touch it with either it's nose, lips or tongue. A bear has a thick hide. Game cameras also are good to have so you know what is lurking. Good luck...

A bobcat couple of nights ago outside my chick/grow-out coop. I do have electric wires around this coop and pen but I still shut the youngsters in at night. It was big so probably a male.
DSCF0002112 01Rev.jpg
DSCF0002112 09Rev.jpg

Nah, probably dog.
Pics showing whole coop, with something for scale, would help here.

Welcome to BYC! @Bobohunter1776
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2402400
Have a game camera set up but it was off that night. It was loud enough to wake us up and it climbed on top of the coop. I live in western Colorado.

Those claw marks look like they’re from a bear. I play a radio near my coop at night ever since I had a cub go through a coop window. “Talk” radio seems to make them uneasy, depending how habituated it is.

Back
Top Bottom