First Loss today

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by kyle7630, Sep 2, 2008.

1. kyle7630

kyle7630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Semora NC
    [​IMG] My Wife and I along with our son had just come back from a short 4 wheeler ride and as soon as we pulled up, my wife screamed "he's got Big Mama". At that point, Big Mama(our beautiful BO) was still struggling. I jumped off the wheeler and chased the hawk away. It was too late. She was our favorite, and she was the biggest of them all. This is our first time getting chickens and guineas and they were still young. I expected to lose birds since I am free ranging 10-13 hours a day, I just didn't expect to be so PO'd about it.:mad: I guess I'll chalk up in the SH category. We will get another BO or two and leave it at that.

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I'm sorry you lost Big Mamma.

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I'm sorry you lost Big Momma also. It's really hard to lose any chicken but sometimes there's one (or two, or three [​IMG]) that are just extra special and it makes it even harder.

4. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Quote:I agree. So sorry for your loss. I think you will need to get at least 3 more BO's just to make up for Big Mama.

5. 1Speckled Hen w/Chicks

1Speckled Hen w/Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    NC
    So sorry to hear about Big Mama--

It is never easy to lose one of your chickens or any pets--but when its one of your favories its really hard to take --especially when you see something so terrible happen!

Hope you can find another special one to fill the void sometime soon!

6. kyle7630

Aug 14, 2008
    Semora NC
    Quote:I agree. So sorry for your loss. I think you will need to get at least 3 more BO's just to make up for Big Mama.

I think I will get 3. Two to fill the void in our hearts, and another to fill the void in the crock pot. I'm trying to really look at it from the standpoint that she would have eventually met a similar fate at my hands but it would have been down the road a bit and she would have been around a while. I know it sounds kinda harsh but that's reality I guess. Thanks everyone for the kind words.

7. Zookeeper9000

Zookeeper9000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Gladstone MI
    I too am sorry you lost your BO. But I will say something harsh as well. It will be very hard for that hawk to take another free ranger, they will of learned from it and will respond better the next time he/she shows up.

As far as oprs go get a dozen of each color LOL I can't wait for Jody's Lavendars

8. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Sorry to hear about your loss. How many birds do you have? Do you have a roo running with them? That might help.

9. kyle7630

Aug 14, 2008
    Semora NC
    Quote:Well, I have 16 guineas and now 4 chickens. The chickens are still young and I wanted to wait and see if one of them was a rooster before I went and bought one. The BO and the RIR were sexed when I got them, the other three weren't. I guess I will go get a roo and a few more BO's. I saw a nice looking BR roo on CL for 5 bucks.

I have noticed this morning that the rest of the birds are staying close to cover and keep checking the sky out. I guess they learn fast too

10. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Free rangers will learn pretty fast. A roo will be a good "eye on the sky" too ~ and a good roo will fight to the death to keep a pred at bay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by