first loss

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jcocojen, Aug 24, 2013.

1. jcocojen

jcocojen Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2013
    I lost my rooster tonight, ozzy. I went to lock them up and found 2 hens on top of the house. Went looking for the other 2 and found ozzy partially eaten on other side of fence. Neighbor saw the whole thing said it was neighbors dog that runs the neighborhood unchecked. Still have 1 chick missing...my belgian, lilly. This is hitting me hard. Ozzy was a good boy, took care of his girls, followed me around, just started crowing. Im upset...

2. dwalters

dwalters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013
    Southern Michigan
    Nothings harder on a chicken owner than an untrained, unsupervised neighbors dog wandering. I have been there. Sorry for the poor roo:(

3. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    you have every right to be upset!

i am in Ohio, laws here allow us to kill a dog if its a predator - without the owner's permission or knowledge. that being said, i normally handle it like this: i will contact the dog's owner and let them know they are responsible for any further damages done by the dog. i will also let them know that if i catch the dog doing it again, they will be short one family pet. do this as nicely as possible, if its a problem neighbor, file a report and let the sheriff take care of it.

check your local laws and see if that will work for you.

chances are if they didnt tie the dog up, it will be back. an electric fence charger may help. if your not up to shooting to kill, a b.b. gun may do you some good.

4. jcocojen

May 23, 2013
    Thank you. I appreciate it. My neighbor is upset too, she was helping me look for lilly. They will prob be hit from all sides tomorrow:) i hope so...

5. dwalters

dwalters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013
    Southern Michigan
    Yes glad ur neighbor has a heart but that doesn't make up for being an irresponsible dog owner

6. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    im getting a little lost in this conversation, is the neighbor who is upset the dog owner? if so, handle it lightly and keep it mild.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Isn't that the truth? Being sorry doesn't bring the rooster back. Being sorry should MEAN they will take every precaution on earth to prevent it from happening again. Yeah until the next time.

8. jcocojen

May 23, 2013
    Im sorry, the neighbor who saw it happen was upset. The dog owner dosent know yet. Im gonna prob write a note so i stay calm. :) thank you for the advice. Needed the hug:)

9. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    im kind of lucky here, my neighbors know that i deal with a lot of rare breeds and show breeds. they keep their dogs home, if i see one here i will usually catch it and call them. but they also know that if it starts attacking any of my chickens, i will shoot it. they would rather me shoot the dog than send them a bill for the damages a dog can do in just a few minutes here.

the last case i had that went kind of rough here, an american bulldog of my neighbors attacked a pen of rhodebars, and a pen of blue slate turkeys. all in all the dog killed about $450.00 in turkeys and 28 rhodebars (at the time their value was higher, maybe $50 each). i had warned these neighbors before, so i shot the dog. i called the sheriff, and asked for them to send a deputy out. the neighbor realized their dog was missing about the time the deputy got here. when he told them i shot their dog, the insisted that i owed $500 for the dog. he informed them that there is a leash law in Ohio, and if i owed the for the dog, then they owed me for the chickens, turkeys and pen damages. they backed down really quick.

this was one of the few times the law worked for me LOL.

10. jcocojen

May 23, 2013
    Wow! I only had 4 little banties. Just pets. I like to cook and garden and they liked to help. I keep telling myself he died fighting, like a rooster should. But he was a sweetheart. Ill miss him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by