First loss :(

calemama

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 27, 2014
I lost my first chicken. The flock free ranges all day and then they put themselves to bed in the evening and I go shut the door to the coop. I guess in the busyness of the day I forgot to shut the door last night. When I went to let them out this morning I was shocked to find them in the yard. I quickly did a head count, and then again, and again... Kept coming up short one. There were no signs right there but as I walked along the edge of the woods I saw a big pile of feathers a couple yards I to the woods, no other parts, blood anywhere just lots of feathers. I'm so sad, I can't believe I neglected to close them up. Any idea what predators MO this is? Going to set a live trap.

I'm sorry you've lost one. I would say fox but no matter what kind of predator it is, it will be back now that it knows there's easy prey regardless of whether it's day or night so may want to keep them in a run while you're gone and allow them time to free-range when you can be there to supervise.

Just one night with the door open and you get hit. That means it's likely that this predator has been routinely checking your hen house. He finally got lucky and will be even more encouraged to keep dropping by. What you can't know is whether the coop was entered or if the hens just came out too early in the morning and with no people around.

So sorry! Make sure that your coop is really safe, and keep them in a little longer in the morning, and locked in ASAP in the evening, or in a SAFE run for a while; trap and shoot the critter(s) who come by. Good luck, Mary

Well be careful of what it is exactly... dont rust into shooting something your nto sure about b cuz chances are it could b illegal....

Well be careful of what it is exactly... dont rust into shooting something your nto sure about b cuz chances are it could b illegal....

Could be....So if you do decide to get rid of it, I have some rules I was taught by my old time farmer friends when I first moved to far northern Minnesota....( yea these guys are a tad seedy)

Quietly...
never more than 2 shots in quick succession.

Preferably at night, and NEVER tell anyone.....EVER...

I am not sure if they were kidding or not.....but

Could be....So if you do decide to get rid of it, I have some rules I was taught by my old time farmer friends when I first moved to far northern Minnesota....( yea these guys are a tad seedy)

Quietly...
never more than 2 shots in quick succession.

Preferably at night, and NEVER tell anyone.....EVER...

I am not sure if they were kidding or not.....but
LOL
These are the same rules my Deep South La. Grandfather taught me.
Guess these rules apply from North to South and everywhere in between.
oh then there is the Cajun part added
You must eat or feed whatever you kill.
Don't waste a life.

LOL
These are the same rules my Deep South La. Grandfather taught me.
Guess these rules apply from North to South and everywhere in between.
oh then there is the Cajun part added
You must eat or feed whatever you kill.
Don't waste a life.

'I bet there is a northern rule you do not have....

If there is snow on the ground, NEVER walk towards the dead predator. Footprints in the snow can be bad.

Thanks everyone. It has now taken two hens and my rooster in three days. Yesterday I witnessed it, it's probably gonna have to go but I'm not willing to say what it is. My coop is very secure, but they just roam around the yard in the day. Apparently I'm going to have to make serious changes to that. My neighbor(about five hundred yards away) let's his do the same and isn't having a problem.

Now I'm thinking my neighbor has alpacas, could they be that much help against predators?

Back
Top Bottom