First MAJOR disaster

RanchRichey

Songster
Apr 16, 2016

This one is her back and wing, I'm concerned with the area of the wing that looks like the skin is torn clean off

The area I'm most concerned about is actually her neck, hidden under her hackle feathers. It's pretty open and there is a chunk of fat tissue exposed. We didn't initially see it due to being hidden so I don't have a pic. I will try to update with one later.

How was the chick injured? Most wounds can be treated with Vetericyn spray or 10% betadine (povidone iodine) from feed stores. You can also apply plain bacitracin or Neosporin ointment twice a day to help prevent infection and flies. Keep her covered with a little baby Tshirt or separate her from the rest so that her wounds aren't pecked and made worse. Unless she was injured badly, her wounds should heal well and feathers will grow back in a few weeks. If you have a little cage or crate she can be kept with her flock so you don't have to go through the difficulty of re-introducing her later. Give her her wn food and water. Scrambled egg can be given to coax her to eat, adding protein to her diet.

How was the chick injured? Most wounds can be treated with Vetericyn spray or 10% betadine (povidone iodine) from feed stores. You can also apply plain bacitracin or Neosporin ointment twice a day to help prevent infection and flies. Keep her covered with a little baby Tshirt or separate her from the rest so that her wounds aren't pecked and made worse. Unless she was injured badly, her wounds should heal well and feathers will grow back in a few weeks. If you have a little cage or crate she can be kept with her flock so you don't have to go through the difficulty of re-introducing her later. Give her her wn food and water. Scrambled egg can be given to coax her to eat, adding protein to her diet.

Our dog got out while they were free ranging and grabbed her!
We have cleaned with steril saline and have applied Blue Kote.
She is separated in a make shift kennel at the moment and she is eating, drinking and pooping. She also even laid an egg today.

I am planning on giving her a saddle and letting her have some time each day with the flock or figuring out how to keep her in the run but separated for her safety.

Last edited:
I had a similar experience with one of our dogs once. We used a shock color, which I am not a huge fan of, to teach him to not go near our dead chicken. He learned after 2 shocks, and in 5 years, always avoid the chickens if one accidentally got into the yard. Our other dogs were never interested in them, or he taught them not to bother them.

I had a similar experience with one of our dogs once. We used a shock color, which I am not a huge fan of, to teach him to not go near our dead chicken. He learned after 2 shocks, and in 5 years, always avoid the chickens if one accidentally got into the yard. Our other dogs were never interested in them, or he taught them not to bother them.

Thanks for the advice! Yes. I have definitely considered the shock collar. I'm Not a fan either, but totally see its use as a training tool for something specific.

The chicken is doing well. It happened Wednesday morning, so nearing 72 hours. Still eating and drinking well and generally seems more perky today. Will probably saddle her and allow her some supervised free range time with the flock tomorrow.

Chickens often seem to have amazing recuperative powers., unless they go into shock. Also keep watch for any signs of infection. Hope she will continue to do well. I like to err on the side of caution. I would NEVER allow dog and chickens to mix. Chickens have never killed a dog.

Back
Top Bottom