First Marans Egg (hatchery bird)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shortstaque, Nov 22, 2010.

1. shortstaque

shortstaque Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Bucks County, PA
    Very excited to have a new color in the egg basket today. I find the color surprisingly beautiful for a hatchery Marans, though I know it is not as dark as it "should" be. For comparison, I have shown it with my other two layers' eggs. They are Barred Plymouth Rocks. The Marans egg was quite large for a first egg. It is larger than those of my other pullets who have been laying for several weeks. Thought folks might be intersted in the color egg you get from hatchery stock Marans. Some of the richness is lost in the photos, but you can see some of the nice speckling it has. Also for color comparison there is peanut butter in the last picture.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  2. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Very nice! [​IMG] I want to add Marans to my flock next Spring. May I ask which one you bought. I would love to have the Blue or Black Copper Maran. Recently learned we have a feed store 60 miles from us that sells Maran chicks in the Spring; need to call and see which one.

My Barred Rocks eggs are not as dark as yours...one lays a very large nearly white egg about once a week. The other two girls lay a much smaller tan egg (no speckles).

Good Luck! [​IMG]

3. Supermommy486

Supermommy486 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    Pretty!!!

4. shortstaque

shortstaque Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Bucks County, PA
    My Marans is just a Cuckoo from MPC. I wanted to get a mixed bag of chickens, so I could see which ones I prefered. That way I can narrow down which breeds I want to look into getting nicer quality from a breeder. I do like the Marans and would like to try the Blue or Black Coppers. I think they are beautiful birds.

The one barred rock lays a fairly rich colored (for a BR) light brown egg with a nice sheen to it, the other barred rock lays the very pale speckled egg with a matte finish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by