First Marans egg!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dixiedoodle, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] ! I have two FBC Marans, they are 29 weeks old... Today, much to my surprise, I found a beautiful dark brown egg. It was small but not tiny and it had a tiny bit of blood on one end.. She looked and seemed fine.. I had to look..LOL. No it wasn't very high on the egg color chart but twice as dark as my RIR eggs.. So, I am one very happy camper.. They aren't breeding stock---just eye candy for my coop and egg basket.. I am in love!!!

ETA: And she laid the egg in the nest box! I have four boxes and she has gone w/ the crowd and laid it in everyone's favorite..

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

3. berkeleysprings

berkeleysprings Chillin' With My Peeps

great news my wheatens i breed take 32 ,but it could have to do with time of year , climat but congrats ! woo hoo
    Quote:

4. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    How about some pictures???

5. Dixiedoodle

Apr 14, 2007
    Quote:I am working on finding a way to post them.. Brand spankin' new 18 megpixels Canon...and [​IMG] I can't upload to here... I am so sad.. I got it in hopes to post great pictures of my girls and their eggs..

6. Dixiedoodle

Apr 14, 2007
    I got another Marans egg today.. She is the only one laying..LOL I said I wouldn't start 'looking' for eggs from any hen until they were at least 30weeks old...but now I am looking for some blue eggs (29 week old true Ameraucanas)...

Oh, don't lay your Marans egg down at the gate, if you have big, wet, autumn leaves everywhere... Took me several seconds to find my pretty dark brown egg...LOL

7. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Nice!! I just got my 1st fbcm marans egg Friday from a 35 week old!! Congratulations!!

8. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:I am working on finding a way to post them.. Brand spankin' new 18 megpixels Canon...and [​IMG] I can't upload to here... I am so sad.. I got it in hopes to post great pictures of my girls and their eggs..

Did you try and put them on Photobucket and then add them on here?

9. firsthouse_mp

firsthouse_mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    NorthernCal
    I would love to see your Maran egg! I completely covet those and hope one day to be the proud owner of a Maran....just got two white egg layers, so I am not quite ready for another.

10. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Mine just laid too! She has laid every day for 5 days so far. She is 22 weeks old and the eggs are smallish and very very dark. Isn't it fun? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by