First Marans Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tracecom, Jan 17, 2015.

1. tracecom

tracecom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    My Marans chicks hatched on June 17, 2014, and they finally began laying this week. The first egg was on January 14, 2015, 211 days later. It was a double yolk, and was not very dark. The second egg came yesterday, and was a single yolk, and much darker. Both eggs are shown in the first picture below, along with a RIR egg laid this morning.

The second photo shows the double yolker cracked in a bowl, and the third photo shows it just before it mysteriously disappeared.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  2. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    Congrats on your first egg. Which kind of Marans do you have? They look yummy. Can't wait until I have egg again, unfortunately it will be almost 9 months before I get eggs. I have eggs in the incubator right now and have day old on order for May. I hope to place an order for some sooner chicks but will just have to wait and see want happens.

3. tracecom

tracecom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    I have Black Copper Marans that I hatched from eggs bought locally. They are not show quality birds, but they are fun. I have three BCM hens and one roo, plus three RIR hens, plus three Buff Orpington hens and a surprise roo.

The RIRs have been laying for about two weeks, but the BCMs just started, and the BOs are a month younger, so they probably won't lay for about three more weeks.

4. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    I'm hoping to hatch some BCM and some Blue copper and if I can't get any to hatch I will get some day old chicks. I love the egg color. I had some Cuckoo about a year and half ago and they where so nice. They lay the lightest brown eggs of the Marans.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by