1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First mice, now mites!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Chickensrock10110, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Chickensrock10110

Chickensrock10110 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    Hawaii
    Earlier this year ,I had a huge population of mice.That was all taken care of thanks to 4 mousers that we 'borrowed' for a couple weeks.
    Now ,I have a mite problem.They are crawling all over my birds and now my room has become infected with them.How do you get rid of them? It`s really taking a toll on me![​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Most people use Sevin dust. A pyrethrin/piperonyl spray also works. Around here, the latter is sold as poultry dust in the feed store or Adam's flea and tick spray from the vet. Probably also available in the pesticide section of gardening supply stores.

Many use DE as a preventive; this is debatable; do some research here before going this route, both on the pros/cons and the correct type to use. DE is probably not effective once there is an infestation.

If they were in my room I'd try the Adam's spray first, then break down and bomb it if I really had to. Or if it is carpeted, Borax in the carpeting might work; works on fleas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by