First minute in their pen!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jeep381, Mar 30, 2012.

1. jeep381

jeep381 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2012
    We finally got the chicken coop and run finished, except for the tarp on top and on one side, and I decided to take the chicks out to see their reaction. They tried to get out of every hole there was and the cocker spaniel was on the other side of the fence. They were actually scared of the pen. I don't understand this!!!! So they are back in their plastic tub in the bedroom for a little while longer.

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Ah yes, chickens are such creatures of habit - any change will take some getting used to. Make sure the chickens are not in the run when you are putting the tarp on top. My chickens hate it even when I am carrying a tarp near their coop in the yard.

3. mcjessen

mcjessen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    Give them some time, they'll get used to it. They might have been scared by the dog too.

4. jeep381

Mar 9, 2012
    we put the tarp on today without the chicks in the pen. It was cooler today so I didn't put them in the pen. I have to rig a light in the coop still. Half of the pen is tarped and half isn't. That should make them happy. Maybe

5. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

My full-grown hens will get scared if leaves in their pen are raked into a mound.

Doesn't take much to disturb the force when it comes to chickens...

6. jeep381

Mar 9, 2012
    Well the chicks have been in the pen a little over a week and they seem to be liking it. It took a few days to figure out they could run around the pen and eat when they wanted to and drink their water. I've given them meal worms for a treat hoping they will get more friendly. Also, I think we might have two roosters among the six chicks. I'm hoping I am wrong. At sundown they are in their coop and bedded down for the night. So far so good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by