First molting... Still no eggs.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jezahu, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Jezahu

Jezahu Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2012
    We got day old chicks (7 red star and 1 white leghorn) last April and they started laying in the Fall and they were doing great! We were getting an average of 10 eggs a day then it started getting cold and they slacked up to maybe one or two a day. We live in West Tennessee so it hasn't been really cold this winter. We've had a couple of dusting snows but it's been mostly warm. Anyway they molted and basically stopped laying and now they have all their feathers back but we still are only getting 3 eggs a day. I noticed today that three of our hens have very healthy red large combs and waddles and I think I read somewhere that you can tell who is laying by that. The rest of them have kind of small and pale looking combs and waddles.

Is that true? How can I get them to start laying again?

2. LukensFarms

LukensFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2013
    Fort Collins, CO
    Wait two months and they will start back up.

3. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Yes in the spring they will start again. How do you get 10 eggs out of 8 chickens a day?:confused:

4. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

This was my thought! Average is 50% of the flock will be laying at any given time. Seriously. Dead of winter you might have 0%, spring and fall you might have 90%, but it will average to about 50%. They don't lay more than one egg a day unless there's a hiccup in their system. And it is daylight hours, not temperature, that triggers both the molt and the lack of laying. You can either put a light in their coop to give them 14 hours of daylight, or let them have a rest and rejoice in the spring equinox when there will be more eggs. Though I have to say, I'm surprised at your red stars, they're usually laying machines!

5. Jezahu

Jezahu Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2012
    I don't know why but we were getting at least one day from each and at least 4-5 times a week we got two more. We know that our white leghorn was laying them most of the time because she is the only or who lays white eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by