First nice day after the cold, so I took the chicks outside. PICS!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chicken_china_mom, May 11, 2010.

1. chicken_china_mom

chicken_china_mom Crazy for Cochins

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    It was a little nippy early on, but it warmed up quite nicely, so I took my little feathered kids outside for the afternoon cause they were getting a bad case of Spring Fever being all locked up in their brooders in the house. I have the 6 week olds out, which consists of 8 EE's, 2 Bantam Cochins, and a Bantam Cochin/Silkie mix. Then I also have out my 4 week olds which consist of 2 Silver Lakenvelders, 8 SS, 4 SS/Wellie mixes, 3 Silkie mixes, 1 Bantam Cochin, 2 CM's, 2 FBCM's, 3 D'Anvers, 1 Quail Antwerp, a CM/BO mix, and a CM/SL mix. I think that's everyone, lol. Point is, they had a blast! Here are some pics of their fun:

This is George, one of my EE cockerels. He was a Georgia til he started really picking fights with Wendell, my other EE roo. Wendell was a Wendy til that comb started coming in. He's ALL boy now, lol. George I think is absolutely GORGEOUS! I love his colors, he really does look like a little hawk!
    [​IMG]

Here are my two Silver Lakenvelder chicks, Eliza and Monty on the left, and Pierre, my FBCM on the right giving me the stink eye. He bites me every chance he gets too, the brat!
    [​IMG]

This is Hershey, my favorite little EE pullet. She is so calm and so sweet, and so different in personality than the other EE's. Most of them jump around like they have ants in their pants, but Hershey has always been calm. To her right is Penny, my little Black Cochin pullet. Another sweet little girl!
    [​IMG]

This is a picture of most of them. See, with this pen, the smaller chicks can walk right through the bars, and they immediately do once they are put in it. I gave up trying to wrangle them up and keep them in there cause there are just too many of them, lol. So instead I just watch them closely. They never wander very far. Most are content to sit directly under my chair and eat grass. Today though, since it was a little nippy, I turned a laundry basket on it's side and I let them go in and out if they got cold. Worked wonderfully.
    [​IMG]

This is Clem, my Cochin/Silkie mixed cockerel. I really wish he was a she, but oh well. He's awful cute with his little mohawk!
    [​IMG]

Eyeballing me. They are fascinated by the camera.
    [​IMG]

This is Wendell, my other EE cockerel giving me the stink eye. That's George next to him.
    [​IMG]

This is Butterscotch, my white EE pullet. She's more of a cream color. My younger DD named her, but we call her Butter for short. She is sooooo pretty! A little flighty though. But I love her!
    [​IMG]

This is Hoot, my little Quail Antwerp. I have really grown to like her. I am fairly certain it's a she. She isn't flighty or anything. She lets me reach down and scoop her right up whereas most of the other chicks will run. She prefers to stay as close to me as possible when outside. That little face when she was a tiny chick looked just like that of an owl, hence the name. She has grown to become one of my favorites.
    [​IMG]

And here are some pics of the Bantam coop and the ducks too. In this coop I have a pair of adult Mallards, 4 Swedish ducklings (funny how those ducklings are already bigger than the adult Mallards and they are only about 8 weeks old!!!), Bantam Cochins, White Silkies, a Mille Fleur hen, a Black Silkie mixed hen, a Dark Brahma roo, and a Standard Welsummer mixed hen that didn't fit in with my Standard flock, so I put her in with the Bantams.

This was my mom refilling the pool for the ducks. Last summer she tried to spray the Mallards with the hose and they would always run. Apparently they don't like it. Well, she tried it today with the Swedish and they LOVED it! They stood there for about 10 minutes letting her spray them while they preened themselves and drank the water falling on them. It was so cute! Made my mom very happy, she really likes the ducks!
    [​IMG]

And this is what happened to Grandma's chair while she was watering the ducks.
    [​IMG]

And finally, here is my younger DD trying to get one of her Splash hens to swing. Yeah, the chicken wanted nothing to do with that!
    [​IMG]

Hope you enjoyed the pics. I had fun outside with my babies. I can never get enough of snuggling and petting these little cuties! [​IMG]

2. Brahmamama4

Brahmamama4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    Washington
    So cute! I loved all the pictures and especially "Hoot"! [​IMG]

3. chicken_china_mom

chicken_china_mom Crazy for Cochins

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    Thanks. She has really stolen my heart! This was her I think it was Friday, the last nice day I was able to take them out:
    [​IMG]

How can you resist that face? She really is a sweetheart.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by