1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First Night in Coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LivingCanvas, May 30, 2016.

1. LivingCanvas

LivingCanvas Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2016
    Glen Carbon, IL
    Well, our coop & attached run are complete and they'll be spending their first night outside. I'm beyond nervous but mostly because they don't like the ramp too much & we can't seem to get them all into the coop. So, it looks like they'll be spending the night in their run. Luckily, it's completely enclosed, with mesh going down 12" below ground.

But I'm still nervous. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Nice set up!! Do you have good ventilation and any Windows for light?

My chicks won't go into a dark space from a light space, and I added a window and two translucent ceiling vents to our shed. Really helped a lot.

When it gets darker, try putting them in the coop so they wake up in there.

Good luck!

3. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Force them in the coop,that is not safe.

4. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    I understand that everything is set up nice,but you still may wanna kep them in their coop.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    That is a nice little setup....but agree you need some light and especially some ventilation in the coop.
    How old are your birds?

6. LivingCanvas

Apr 12, 2016
    Glen Carbon, IL

They're between 8-10 weeks old. There's plenty of ventilation, as the overhangs are not closed off, but covered in hardware cloth. Seeing as how the purpose of the coop is for sleep & egg laying, I'm not understanding why I need to put a window in. I can add some solar lights but as far as cutting into the coop to add a window, I'm not sure why that's necessary.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

8. LivingCanvas

Apr 12, 2016
    Glen Carbon, IL

Yep, there's room for the fumes/heat to escape out the top. [​IMG]

And sadly, nope. The roof isn't clear. It's an old school tin roof. Maybe I can talk my fella into a window of some sort. He was so happy yesterday because he thought he was done with the coop... [​IMG] Lol

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

10. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Can you see to read a newspaper in there? If so, you have enough light. Leaving some openings under the overhang can let in a lot of light. They do need enough light to see to go to bed, but especially if it is only for sleeping and laying, there is no reason for it to be really bright. A coop being really bright can lead to behavioral problems, all the way from feather picking to cannibalism. The coop being a little darker seems to calm them down more. You may need a window but even a gable vent can let in a lot of light. I’m not a fan of ridge vents in areas where snow can build up, but your roof looks steep enough that snow should not build up.

I always have the problem of the chicks sleeping under the door when I move mine into the elevated grow-out coop and I let them in the run, even if they have been locked in the coop for over a week. When I move them into one of my coops on the ground I never have that problem. I think until they start to roost they like to sleep someplace really low. By the way, my brooder raised chicks normally start to roost at 10 to 12 weeks. I’ve had some start at 5 weeks, some start later than 12, but 10 to 12 is a good average.

What I suggest is that you go out there after dark and lock them inside the coop section. After they have settled down for the night about all you have to do is pick them up if it is pretty dark. If you have light out there it can be a bit more exciting. I have had some groups put themselves to bed in the coop after only doing this once, but what is more normal is that it takes about a week before they catch on. I have had some take three weeks. There is very little that is consistent about chickens and their behavior.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by