First night in coop!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pkgal21, Mar 19, 2018.

1. pkgal21

pkgal21 Chirping

Jan 30, 2018
    North Texas
    Introduced the girls to their new coop! Meet Ginny, Tonks, Winky, Niffler, Butterbeer, and Buckbeak. ❤️⚡

I'm a nervous chicken mama and keep checking on them. IMG_20180319_190450_679.jpg

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  2. Smuvers Farm

Smuvers Farm Melvin Up the Taterhole

Feb 16, 2017
    TN/Western KY Border
    Nice!!!

And I'm gonna point people to this thread when they start making fun of my peeps: Moist, Squishy, Fat Bastard, Shark, Bean, Casper, Holy, etc etc... :lau

3. pkgal21

pkgal21 Chirping

Jan 30, 2018
    North Texas

Lol. Fat bastard. That's fantastic.

4. Smuvers Farm

Smuvers Farm Melvin Up the Taterhole

Feb 16, 2017
    TN/Western KY Border
    I'm loving the natural roosts in there... very cozy... can I move in?!?

drumstick diva and pkgal21 like this.
  5. Cheers2Ya

Cheers2Ya Songster

Apr 9, 2016
    North Dakota
    Cool coop, cool names! Harry Potter fans? ;)

6. pkgal21

pkgal21 Chirping

Jan 30, 2018
    North Texas
    Lol, maybe just a tad.

drumstick diva likes this.
  7. LovinThisFarmGirlLife

LovinThisFarmGirlLife Songster

Feb 1, 2018
    Bow, WA
    Love it!! How old are your chicks? Mike look like that but they’re only about 4-5 weeks old. I was cleaning out my brooder today and one of my babes FLEW out!! Startled her as much as it did me I think because she jumped right back in! But it got me thinking, maybe they’re big enough to go in the coop? They’re not 100% feathered out yet so I worry that they’ll get too cold. What do you think?

8. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Are you still providing supplemental heat where they are at now? Is your co-op situated such that you would have electricity available to provide supplemental heat while transitioning them? Are there larger birds already in the co-op with which your younger birds must integrate?

This is my 1st brood for this year roosting on the window sill of the coop this evening. They are 5 weeks and have been off heat for almost 2 weeks now. However, they were raised outside from day one (temps dipping into low 20s) and therefor have not had to undergo a transition to adjust to the temperatures.

20180320_192203.jpg

9. LovinThisFarmGirlLife

LovinThisFarmGirlLife Songster

Feb 1, 2018
    Bow, WA
    Wow that’s amazing! I didn’t even realize they could be outside from day one without a mama hen to take care of them. Mine have been in a water trough turned brooder since they were tiny. I picked them up the 24th of Feb and I assume they were appx a week to a week and a half old at that tune. Thy have supplemental heat right now, but I want to wean them off over the next week and yes, I can get electricity to the coop fornthem to provide heat if they need it. Temps here are dipping just above freezing at night still. I have three coops, and the one I’m planning on putting the babies in is vacant except for one hen who is kind of a loner :(. That’s my other dilemma...what to do with her. Can she safely be in the coop at night with the babies? And I can just let her out in the mornings? Or should I move her to a different coop.

10. pkgal21

pkgal21 Chirping

Jan 30, 2018
    North Texas
    I have 4 and 5 week olds. They were raised with a mama heating pad and started weaning themselves off of it a week or so ago. I live in Texas, so it's not really cold. I worried like crazy the first night, even put the heating pad out there. But they huddled in a corner together instead. They're loving it so far.

LovinThisFarmGirlLife likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: