First night in coop

Oh I'm sorry, that sounds stressful! My marriage was put to a test with starting the coop late, let me tell you. Who knew building would be that hard! If you have raccoons or other predators in your area you might look into modifications. I got a prefab coop that was rated well but WAY too small and not safe for sure. I'm sure they'll do great with the transition though! I also got mine as a quarantine whim and now I'm obsessed. 😅 Pleased to say this is the 4th night they've slept outside and I'm not worried in the slightest!
I have no idea how the prefab makers do their chicken math!!! The one I ordered is big enough for 12 birds they say...actually it will be the perfect fit for my 5 ladies. ( at least think they’re all ladies😳...the jury is still out in one of them😋.)
I’m glad to hear your Cluckers are settling into their new digs! They bring so much joy to my life. Enjoy!

Be careful, they will learn if they cry then theyll get what they want. I have a friend who would let her chickens free range. One chicken would scream while she was walking to the run to let them out. Eventually, she couldnt free range them anymore. Her hen screamed louder than a rooster would crow all day for weeks. Chickens can get stubborn once they figure out they can get what they want by crying.
Also not good to have if there is a rooster in the bunch. They turn bad fast if it is the human they need to fixate on, at least that has been my personal experience. Sure I pour everyone food and set out treats and the sun controls my life now I keep chicken. I am just not involved on the micro level with them in their interpersonal relations. That works best for me.

That being said we are still able to give cat food treats to the sweeties that do visit us on the porch. Who can resist a "bahh Bwah bwah baHah?"?

Last edited:
Oh my gosh, I’m so worried now that I’ve read your post! Lol. My first 6 chicks are now six weeks and we almost have the new coop and run ready. I have been soooo excited about getting them into a nice big place outside. Have stressed about ground material, dust bath area, toys, Heights of roosts, feeders, waterers they can’t poop in and predator safety, never did I even think that they would CRY when put in there! We plan on putting them out during day a couple times before permanently to gradually get them used to new digs, did you do that? I’m so worried now, I don’t know what I’ll do besides definitely not sleep, if they cry (what does that sound like?) at all, much less all night! Yikes. Have they calmed down yet?
I'm in the same place you are - fussing about getting everything perfect. The coop and run for my 6 & 7 week old chicks will be ready in two days and I'm really nervous that they will be frightened and stressed out their first night in the coop. I like your idea of giving them field trips before it's their permanent home. Thanks for the idea!

I'm in the same place you are - fussing about getting everything perfect. The coop and run for my 6 & 7 week old chicks will be ready in two days and I'm really nervous that they will be frightened and stressed out their first night in the coop. I like your idea of giving them field trips before it's their permanent home. Thanks for the idea!
FWIW I was so torn up the first night, brought them back inside, but a year later and they do amazing! Don’t stress, they are easy little babies. ☺️ Have a good comfort movie to distract yourself for the first night!

They are in their coop for the first night and they are doing great! When it got dark they all walked up the ramp and put themselves to bed. They fussed no longer than they normally do when it's time for bed. I'm lucky to have such calm and awesome chicks!

Back
Top Bottom