First Night in Coop

LizThumm

Chirping
Jul 31, 2020
Ohio
Hi. I’m a new chicken owner. I have 3 chicks. They are 5 weeks old. We have a nice coop and a safe run my husband built for them. I took them on field trips introducing them to the area and the house a few times. Today they spent the day, but only ventured out the door if I went inside the run. When I locked them in I swear the chirped louder. This is their first night. Mama is worried.

Nice to see you here! It’s a little nerve racking but as long as the coop is secure they should be fine. Once they’re asleep they won’t know where they are. I’m sure you’ll be up with the dawn to check on them ❤ Chickens are so much fun to have in our life!

There really isn't anything to be concerned about. They'll be fine. They'll come out looking for food and water tomorrow. And they'll go up into the coop to roost as the sun goes down. You might have to show them where the coop and roosts are for a day or two but they'll get it and they'll take care of themselves.

All they really need from us is a safe environment and access to their feed, water and grit. When they're older, they'll need to be able to access calcium in the form of oyster shell as well.

They're really VERY good at being chickens. All their "instructions" are bred into their DNA.

Hi. I’m a new chicken owner. I have 3 chicks. They are 5 weeks old. We have a nice coop and a safe run my husband built for them. I took them on field trips introducing them to the area and the house a few times. Today they spent the day, but only ventured out the door if I went inside the run. When I locked them in I swear the chirped louder. This is their first night. Mama is worried.
Hang in there! They'll figure it out, I promise.

There really isn't anything to be concerned about. They'll be fine. They'll come out looking for food and water tomorrow. And they'll go up into the coop to roost as the sun goes down. You might have to show them where the coop and roosts are for a day or two but they'll get it and they'll take care of themselves.

All they really need from us is a safe environment and access to their feed, water and grit. When they're older, they'll need to be able to access calcium in the form of oyster shell as well.

They're really VERY good at being chickens. All their "instructions" are bred into their DNA.
Ok the way the coop is set up up the roost is on second floor and I’ve shown them that several times but they seem to like the bottom floor. I do have food and water on bottom floor. It is a small house. I have the nesting blocked for now which is also on second floor since I’ve read they shouldn’t sleep there and they are still too young to lay.

My chicks were SO loud their first couple nights outside. They "cried" for hours every night for a week, then got used to it, and they've been perfectly happy since then. It just takes some patience and trust that they'll be fine on your part. Being worried is normal. The first night my babies spent outside I couldn't sleep at all, and checked on them at four in the morning :lol: So as long as your coop is safe and predator proof, they'll be perfectly fine :)

So as long as your coop is safe and predator proof, they'll be perfectly fine :)

Precisely! That's the key -- a completely safe enclosure. Then you don't have anything to worry about.

If they prefer to sleep in the run while they're small, they'll be OK. If they graduate to the coop but hunker down together in a corner at first, they'll be OK. It really doesn't matter so long as where they are, they're safe. And, in time, they'll work out a routine.

Precisely! That's the key -- a completely safe enclosure. Then you don't have anything to worry about.

If they prefer to sleep in the run while they're small, they'll be OK. If they graduate to the coop but hunker down together in a corner at first, they'll be OK. It really doesn't matter so long as where they are, they're safe. And, in time, they'll work out a routine.
I won’t let them sleep in the run even though it’s closed in. I just checked on them and YAYYYY they were upstairs in the roost not on the bottom floor looking out for mama. All was quiet. I’m sure I’ll check again but I was happy. Thank you everyone y’all are great!!!

Back
Top Bottom