1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First night in coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by happima, Oct 17, 2011.

1. happima

happima Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2011
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Two of the chicks turn 6 weeks and one of the chicks turns 7 weeks tomorrow. I have them out in their locked up coop for their first night outside. They've been sleeping without a red lamp for two nights now in their brooder.

They were peeping like they were a little scared at first, but now they are quietly resting. I've checked on them twice.

I feel nervous for them, but I think they're ready. Please keep them safe from cold (shouldn't get below 55 tonight here in California) and predators.[​IMG]

2. smkchick

smkchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2011
    Lawnguyland
    How did it go? My babies are 3 weeks and I can't wait to get them outside in the real world. But I'm in NY and the temps are dropping at night. Might have to wait another month or so.

I want to hear how they did!
    [​IMG]

3. happima

Sep 14, 2011
    San Francisco Bay Area
    They made it! Were quiet as can be and didn't make a peep in the morning until
    the next door rooster crowed. I think they got tired of me waking them up with the flashlight. Checked On them three times!

They're growing up...

4. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    Quote:That first night is always the hardest on the "people"! My DH thought I was crazy checking on mine at 3 in the am the first night! Glad to hear yours did well!

5. smkchick

smkchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2011
    Lawnguyland
    Quote:They never write, they never call...[​IMG]

6. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    they never write they never call and never sends flowers.

I hope you survive the first night new parents LOL [​IMG]

7. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

lol..mine are 6 weeks old and have been out in the coop since 3 1/2 wks old BUT they still have a heat lamp on...last night I had turned it off during the day and forgot to turn it back on before dark...they went to bed and were all cuddled up but I couldn't help worry and went out at midnight and turned it back on...

8. happima

Sep 14, 2011
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Tonight was cold and I found them huddled together in the corner of the run, so I brought them inside. May need to install a light.

Maybe I should have kept them outside, but I worried...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by