First night in the big girl coop!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by blueberrychickens, Jul 14, 2010.

1. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    So tonight is their first night out in their new coop. The girls are 4.5 weeks old & just itchin' to get out of that brooder box. So tonight I moved the brooder box into the coop & tucked them in for bed. Their light is on in case it gets chilly tonight. Tomorrow they will have all day to check out the coop with out the brooder box in there. Then with fingers crossed, they will be there to stay. I wonder how many times we will go out there to check on them tonight??? I think I'll go & check on them now to see how they are doing, gee I wish we had that web cam set up!! [​IMG]

2. Barry1963

Barry1963 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2010
    Madison, Tennessee
    I have a security cam on my coop/pen with night vision. Its been a great thing to have, I spotted a small possum sneaking in one night and ran him off and patched the hole. My cam also has a mic so I can hear them if they go to rasin hell. Hook it up, its a great thing to have !!

3. littlemissjellyfish

littlemissjellyfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Maine
    My girls are 5 weeks old and will have their 1st night out in the coop this weekend! They are getting way too feisty for their brooder! Good luck to your chickies! I'm sure they will be fine and LOVE the extra room!

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I used to camp outside when I had newbies out for the first time!

5. littlemissjellyfish

littlemissjellyfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Maine
    P.S. blueberry I noticed that you have SLW & GLW. I do too! Are any of your chicks getting their waddles and combs yet? I am wondering because 2 of mine are...I hope they are early bloomers and not roos!

6. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    I see a sleepless night in your immediate future:lol:

7. blueberrychickens

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    Hey Littlemissjellyfish.....I seem to have been shorted my SLW & have 3 GLW's, no real combs or wattles to speak of yet. 2 still have non exisitent tails & 1 has a good sized tail, but she is the runt of the bunch so I'm wondering if she is even a GLW!!! [​IMG] I really wanted a SLW too..... [​IMG] I'll be posting more pics hopefully tmrw as the DH needs to download them off the camera for me.
    Barry1963, what kind of coopcam do you have, we are still shopping for one, but I see one in our near future. [​IMG]

8. Barry1963

Barry1963 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2010
    Madison, Tennessee
    Quote:We bought a wireless system from amazon, ASTAK brand. The receiver plugs into any TV or VCR (nice for recording while your gone)with RC jacks. The one we bought came with three cams and you can set it to loop through all 3 cams or just one or two for that matter. They have the option of either 110v or 9V battery. I tried the 9V first but soon just plugged them in as they go through batteries pretty quick. They are weather resistant and work great. I believe we paid around $130 for the set....it was a little rich for my blood, but worth every penny.

Two cams are set to watch the house and one on the coop.

[​IMG]

Oh, it also comes with a nice little remote control so you can check and change cams with out getting up

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  9. blueberrychickens

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    Thanks, I'll tell the DH to check it out as he is the techno geek in the house!

10. LOST Chick Heather

LOST Chick Heather Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2010
    Our 4.5 weekers spent the first night in the coop last night too. [​IMG]

I didn't sleep so well but when I woke up (way too early!) they were fine. I opened the door and out they came.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by