First night in the big kid coop. (tons of pics now!)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chicken-owner-31, Jan 7, 2011.

1. chicken-owner-31

chicken-owner-31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    I've read and read and read on here that they should be fine, but I worry!! [​IMG]

They are a few days short of 8 weeks and are fully feathered, with the exception of a few of the silkies....they still have a bit of fluff on thier heads.

Thier coop has roosts and copius amounts of hay for bedding, and they are very good about cuddling with each other. But it's supposed to be 35 tonight. [​IMG]

I worried a ton about the big birds when it got cold, and they have been fine.....dunno why the little ones have me so worked up.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2011
  2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:I was the same exact way when I put my babies in the big girl coop the first night. Remember that they're all wearing fuzzy, down coats to bed. They'll be fine and happy to see you first thing in the morning!

3. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    I'm that way first night in the coop even if it's 60 out! They are still my babies!

[​IMG]

deb g
    KY

4. chicken-owner-31

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    Thanks guys! ((HUG)) I'm so glad I have BYC to share my worries with! My hubby just rolled his eyes at me and said, "you might lose one or two" with a shrug of his shoulders. [​IMG]

I have my alarm set for EARLY in the morning so I can let them out with the light. Fabio started trying to crow this week, so I'm hoping he will get better at it. I'm sure before too long I will not be happy about it early in the morning. [​IMG]

I will post some pics of them in thier new digs as soon as I can get them to upload.

5. BlakesFarm

BlakesFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Upstate SC
    Theay should be fine. [​IMG]

Its alwayse scary the first night or two.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I always arrange to put my babies out for their first night in the Big Girl Coop on a Friday night, so it won't matter if I cannot sleep a wink for worrying about them, and surreptitiously checking on them.

They have ALWAYS been perfectly fine. Every single one greeted me the next morning when I opened up the coop for them.

And yet I know I will do it again, next time, too.

7. chicken-owner-31

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    Thanks guys, truly! My logical side says they will be fine, it's just my heart that I have to convince! I was SO sure that some would have been DOA when I first got them in the mail, then I was SO sure that I would lose one or two in the first couple of weeks. But they have all lived so far, and I definitely consider that to be beginners luck. I just have to hold on to hope that my beginners luck with hold out a little while longer! [​IMG]

Here are some pics of my babies in thier new digs (for now anyway.)

Not so sure about this place!
    [​IMG]

Finally spreading out a bit:
    [​IMG]

Chasing them out of the corner that they cowered in for the first 10 minutes:
    [​IMG]

Yay, they found the water!
    [​IMG]

Two of the Silkies:
    [​IMG]

Pretty frizzled pullet:
    [​IMG]

Pretty silkie:
    [​IMG]

The fearless leader, Fabio.... [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And I cannot forget the two protectors of the flock, Hostage and Puck:
    [​IMG]

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

What a NICE flock, you have! Thank you for sharing!

9. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific NW
    Forgive my ignorance... It looks like I see some Silkie, some Cochin bantams and some frizzle Cochin bantams. How far off am I? LOLz.

Thank you for the wonderful pics! [​IMG]

10. chicken-owner-31

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    Babies are fine this morning!

Thanks greyeyes! I <3 them!!

Horison, you are right on the money!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by