First night in the coop for my chicks.....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jolyn, May 11, 2008.

1. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    I'm so nervous for them. I just couldn't have them in my bathroom anymore and i think they are ready for the coop. It is very safe and secure. I just hope they do ok. They are a few days short of five weeks and i don't have electric out there. I kept them in their brooder box. I checked the temp and it's about 74 in there. I sure hope they do ok.

Say a little prayer for my girls will ya.[​IMG]

Thanks,
    Jodie

2. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

I'll be thinking about you and your babies! I will be the same way when I move mine outside! They are in their run during the day and then I put them up in a pen in the safety of the garage.(it's a detached that is actually more like a barn, lol). I hope you can get some rest![​IMG]

3. ArcticFox

ArcticFox Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2008
    I'm sure they will do fine [​IMG] Just keep an eye on the temp and if you have to, y ou could always run and extention cord out there and plug in a light. My babys are 10 days old today and put them out in there coop with heat lamps. It is still getting really cold here...down to 28 the first night but they stayed nice and warm with their heat lamps [​IMG]

4. Jolyn

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Quote:Dh and i are going to go check on them soon and see what the temp is. It's 11 o'clock. I can do the extension cord if i need to.

5. Jolyn

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    It's eight and i just went out to check on them and they seem fine. [​IMG] It was so nice to not be woke up at 3:30 this morning. [​IMG]

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    My girls will be 8 weeks old on Tuesday and they are still in the house. Until everyne is all feathered out and can handle the cool temps at night, they stay inside.

I love my girlies.

7. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I love mine, too, but wow, I don't know how you manage to keep them inside! My oldest are 6 weeks and HUGE. They have been out since 3-1/2 weeks.

8. fowlplay

fowlplay Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2008
    Townsend
    I love mine, too, but wow, I don't know how you manage to keep them inside! My oldest are 6 weeks and HUGE. They have been out since 3-1/2 weeks.

Same here. We have 13 RIR's. Boy do they grow fast! They are 3 1/2 weeks old and spent their first night in their brand new coop last night. We built our coop inside our existing garage, so between the double insulation of that and the heat lamp we have out there, we weren't overly worried about them. They are doing fine and seem quite thrilled with their new digs! They have room to run and chase each other and practice flying. They're so cute.
    Now, if I could just get the process of posting pics here down.....lol​

9. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Fowlplay, I agree, mine love their coop and love it outside! I started giving my older ones free range time and they were ecstatic. They love it under our apple trees. So many bugs, LOL!!

10. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    If my coop were finished, they would be outside too. We had to go to a larger brooder instead [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by