first night in the coop in a high predator zone

cupman

Songster
8 Years
Apr 12, 2011
Portland, OR
Well its the first night in the coop for 5 of my 14 chickens. I was feeling pretty confident in it's safety... then I read the sticky poll and read about 30 different predator kills chicken stories, now I'm freaked out again. The place for my chickens is a rectangle, coop is a square on the end, then the run. The run is protected with 1 inch poultry wire on all sides and has this metal wire fencing stuff to create a skirt around the coop/run. It's stapled pretty heavily duty to the base of the coop/run and then staked down with tent poles all around the end of the skirt. Am I forgetting anything?

I think my girls are fearless, I have my one roo out there with them but I'm not sure they have any concept of predators just yet. I went out there and they were all laying on the floor of the run, some were right up against the edge of the run. I heard raccoons will try to reach in after them? We have so many raccoons here, I just saw 3 of them the other night in a pack when it tripped my motion detector. I don't think the girls have figured out the concept of going up the ramp into the coop part. I picked them all up and carried them and placed them into the coop but I don't have any open/shutting doors to my coop, it's just kind of a square in the side for them to crawl in through.

I guess I was just seeing if anyone knew anything I was missing. I also noticed I had a hard time with one of my chickens, she got out and I had to chase her down and when I finally did place her in the coop she was like frozen with fear, wouldn't even stand up or walk around... is she going to be okay? Thanks.

it would be nice if you could close them in at night. I have to pick mine up and lock them away last night to my happiness they put them selves in. Good luck
yippiechickie.gif

They have been in their coop for about 25 minutes now, I keep checking and they haven't come out yet. I have a feeling I'll be doing DVD t.v. series marathon tonight with my windows open while I look for predators. Trusty flash light and .22 near by.

If it will help you, get a secure pop door, lock everyone up tight, and get a good night sleep...tomorrow.

Imp- Good luck

Back
Top Bottom