First night in the coop without a heat lamp. Eeek! And question about chick unable to roost.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HouseMouseHens, Oct 12, 2012.

1. HouseMouseHens

HouseMouseHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    My Coop
    So I finally decided that the girls no longer need the heat lamp. It's getting down to the mid to low forties at night, and the girls are 9 weeks, 8 weeks, 7 weeks and 6 weeks, and all of them are fully feathered and have been for a week or two. I think it was just me babying them... Haha! Had to let go sometime. I'm still worried, but they seem fine so far.

I am super excited though, because after they were all in and it was mostly dark, I put each of them up on the roosts, and just went out to check on them, and 12 of the 13 are all still sleeping on the roosts! So far they can get up there, but still pile up on the floor, so this is big for them!

The one that isn't on the roost is Nutmeg, or Ameracauna girl who had some leg issues as a three week old chick. We never knew what was actually wrong, she just stopped being able to hold herself up on her legs for a couple days, and then suddenly started walking again, though she is forever going to wobbly on her feet. She kind of waddles around, and loses her balance easily, though she does just fine with it. She is 9 weeks old now. It seems like she actually can't roost, at least not for very long as she wobbles even a little bit and falls off..

My question is, will she be okay being the only chicken not up roosting with the rest? I have seen her up on the roosts before when we had a really low one just a few inches off the ground, but never for very long. Should we maybe build her a small roost on the ground to use? Right now she is curled up on the platform that is part of our ramp to the chicken door...

This problem might be solved when we get the new roosts in tomorrow, as were switching from a closet rod to a 2x4 on its wide side, so she'll be able to just plop down on it and not have to balance...

What do you guys think? After we get the new roosts in, I'll try putting her back on there tomorrow after dark and see what happens.....

2. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    The 2x4 on side is what I use. She will probably jump up there since she won't have to balance. And she could just be low on the pecking order and may have been chased off?

3. HouseMouseHens

HouseMouseHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    My Coop
    No, she wasn't pushed off, I saw her fall off. The first time I put her back on... She's actually pretty high up on the order from what I can tell. She never gets picked on.. She's one of the biggest chicks.

I'm hoping the 2x4 will fix the issue for her.. I hate to see her all sad by herself when they other girls are all cozy together up on the roost...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by