First night in the coop

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by crawfordmama, Jul 29, 2010.

1. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    DH and I litterally just finished refurbing an old chicken coop in our yard. The girls have been out exploring the coop and run for the past 3 hours. I made a deal with myself: I'll go out at 7:30 (when they put themselves to bed), and if they're roosting, I'll leave them be. If they're up and about, they'll come inside for one more night. I've already been out there spying on them, but not disturbing them, and they seem fine. The coop is roughly 20 feet from our bedroom window, and I'll be sleeping with the window wide open so I can hear anything and everything that goes on. I'll also have my rifle ready! I think I just need to take a big-girl pill and let them be chickens, but they're my babies!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I understand the part about letting them go. I just hope you can get some sleep tonight. Wishing you all the best.

3. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    if u have a lock on the chicken coop door and the human door and have hardware cloth over your windows they will be fine until 730 am
    laura

4. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Mine are having their first night out tonight too. I've been preparing them by having my tractor in the garage with the coop. I put them in the tractor this morning and the loved it.Immediatlt went spread eagle in sunshine. I kept checking thruout day and just awhile ago they were in shade enjoying a breeze. I took the coop out and they promptly went inbut too early yet to lock up. My DH laughed at me when I told him I was going to get a baby monitor from thrift store. And then he agreed with me. [​IMG] [​IMG] We'll have to compare notes in am.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  5. crawfordmama

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    OMG, baby monitor! That's actually not a bad idea... Good luck to you![​IMG]

6. BWKatz

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Well mine went right in their coop, My EE Ella did need a little encouragement. She wanted to stay out & play. [​IMG] This morning I opened the door & they just filed out crowding around me. It's so nice to be loved.[​IMG] Hope urs had a nice night too

7. BigSkyChickens

BigSkyChickens Free Bird

Apr 3, 2009
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    HAHA!

take a big-girl pill and let them be chickens

Reminds me of my SO telling me, "Step away from the chickens...."
    [​IMG]

8. pdxblossom

pdxblossom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Mine go out next Saturday . . . I'm already so nervous and ready to buy that baby monitor! I got a lot of grief when I brough the chicks home, but things have changed. This morning was my first day off in 14 days. I was resting on the couch, drinking tea. My DH says "I think the chickens want to play outside". "Sure" I say, "let me wake up and have some tea. It's only 7:45." He then goes into the brooder and starts talking to them, making clucking noises. He's more worried about them having a good day than me! [​IMG]

9. crawfordmama

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    So last night I went out into the coop at dusk as planned. It felt colder than they're used to, and pretty windy. I was already feeling bad. The girls clearly didn't want to stay, because they were literally jumping into my arms. This was surprising, because I'm 5'6", and I hadn't seen them actually jump that high. So, they spent one more night in the brooder. I put them out first thing this morning, and they will surely spend their first night out tonight. I even cancelled my plans for the evening so I could be home to supervise.

10. BWKatz

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    You big softee! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by