First night in the coup

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SC Marine, Mar 11, 2014.

1. SC Marine

SC Marine Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2014
    I had to climb in an put the girls in the coup they were wanting to sleep on the ramp. Once I got them in they were fine. I know I'm going to check on them 2 or 3 more times. I'm the tough Marine! Ha ha I'm sure they will get the hang of it. [​IMG]

2. nurschic

nurschic Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2014
    I put mine out in the coop today too….Mine are 5 weeks old. How old are yours? I have been out 3 times so far to "check" on them and the temp of the coop….prob will go out one more time before bed just to make sure they are OK (and I can sleep [​IMG])

3. SC Marine

Feb 23, 2014
    4 of them are 8 weeks an 2 are 3 weeks. Temp here tonight will only get in the 50's so they should be fine. They did love the sand! Took to it like pigs to mud.

4. nurschic

nurschic Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2014
    I used sand in my brooder and they loved it!!! Now they have pine shavings for warmth and a sand bucket for baths….

5. Gingersnap722

Gingersnap722 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    FL
    That's so cute!!

6. SC Marine

Feb 23, 2014
    Ok, the girls found their way out of the coup at some point today. However, after getting back from my son's baseball game tonight I found them all huddled at the bottom of the ramp. So I crawled in an helped each one into the coup where they immediately went to sleep in the warmth. Any ideas on how to get them to go in on their own or is this going to take a few days of dirty knees? Thank you in advance!

7. kherring

kherring Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2014
    Northern virginia
    After a couple of days they will get the idea. They look so cute!!!

8. Gingersnap722

Jun 13, 2013
    FL
    True, after helping them for a couple or a few days, they'll catch on.

9. SC Marine

Feb 23, 2014
    Well after 5 days the chickens still huddle at the base of the ramp. I thought after several days of helping them into the coup they would catch on. Any ideas i would be grateful. I'm at a loss.

10. Gingersnap722

Jun 13, 2013
    FL
    Is the ramp covered? Are they locked in? I'm wondering if they're comfortable there thinking that's their little "coop".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by