First night in the new duck house...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by JosieR, Jun 18, 2010.

1. JosieR

JosieR Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Orange County, NY
    and I'm not sure I'm ready for it. It's a dog kennel with an attached chainlink run (I took pictures but my husband left the camera in the car and brought it to work with him [​IMG]).

I put hardware cloth around the bottom of the chain link. The whole thing is about 3 feet off the ground. I put chicken wire around the top of the chainlink. There was about a 3 or 4 inch gap between the top of the fence and the roof. I don't think raccoons could get up there and in but honestly, I don't know enough about them and I didn't want to take a chance. On the kennel part there's a window that I stapled more hardware cloth over since it's just a regular window with a basic house screen.

Anyway, nice, insulated box with wood shavings and the window. There's a door that has a lip, I guess the dog is supposed to be able to pull it open with it's paw and it slams after they go in. I propped it open with a rock so they could go in and out all night. And they won't go in the darn thing! They are out huddled in the run area. I even threw PEAS into the kennel and they ignored them!!

When we checked on them they were quiet but still outside. I am so stressed, I'm up in the house with the A/C on and I can't hear anything. I'm not sure if that's good or bad. [​IMG] I keep feeling like I'm forgetting something and they are going to be fox/raccoon dinner tonight!

2. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    Sounds like they should be fine, but I understand about the stressing. I'm forever imagining the worse in the middle of the night and sometimes go and check. I have had things go wrong when I haven't checked (like a gate that wasn't latched tight blowing open in the middle of the night and I lost my favorite drake). It's so stressful worrying about these little buggers. [​IMG]

Looking forward to seeing pics tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by