First night in the teens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dirtyhip, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Dirtyhip

Dirtyhip Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    The Cascades
    19 last night from what I hear. They had their red light, last night. They are about 9 weeks old. The window was wide open, so they got some chillin. They have been in low 30's so far.

I will go out and check on them in 30 min, when first light. It is still dark.

Winter is cold.

[​IMG] <======== ski look

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

OK, I know you've likely thought this through, but I'll just say a few things and you can make up your own mind.

A "chick" at 9 weeks of age is fully feathered and is an adolescent. With winter coming on, it you're going to always heat them, that's fine, although I sure won't envy you your electric bill. If you are not going to heat them, and chickens don't need heat, this would be the ideal time to allow mother nature to do her thing.

I also have some younger birds and we've had lows in the low 20's already. I love it!!! Why? Because this forces the growth of the winter down and feathers. Just like horse grows a winter coat, the birds will fluff up if allowed to do so.

We'll see negative 25 many times this winter. To prepare the birds for that, I love these cold nights as preparatory for what is to come. Again, this is your management decision completely.

3. johnsons-r-us

johnsons-r-us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    This is our first year with chickens. I'm a tad bit nervous, but have read enough where I know I don't need to heat my coop. I am going to provide some extra lighting to help with egg production.....but other than that nothing is different from summer. Well, I won't turn the fan on! [​IMG]

4. Dirtyhip

Dirtyhip Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    The Cascades
    Going out to turn the light off. Tonight, I will be meaner.

[​IMG]

5. johnsons-r-us

johnsons-r-us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    Quote:I figure my being "nice" was moving from Northern MN to KS! [​IMG]

They will be just fine! [​IMG]

6. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Our outside temps were down to 48 last night and the inside coop temp was 72 this morning when the outside morning temp was 55. I don't know what it is that keeps them so warm - our house is only 68 and we've got the heat running! Maybe we should start putting pine shavings on our floor and pooing on it to create some warmth [​IMG]

7. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    oh my gosh some of ya'll have such cold winters.. we never get that cold.. we've been in the teens a couple of times a winter usually in jan or feb. this is my first year too.. I have gotten them a red heat bulb. an have turned it on a couple of nights that it got cold int he 40's low 50s.. how expensive is that light to run?

8. CityBoywholoveschickens

CityBoywholoveschickens New Egg

Oct 21, 2011
    Speaking of the cold... My pet frizzled serama bantam is broody, and isn't pooping!! I have to physically make her get up to poop. I'm not sure if it's because it's cold, and she's afraid her eggs will chill? I really don't want to turn on her heat lamp because I'd rather save it for when the chicks hatch. I'm a long ways from a tractor's supply or any feed store. I'm really not sure how long the lights last anyways. How long do you all think it's safe for her not to poop? I'm heading out of town this sunday, and won't be back till saturday. Could she go that whole time without pooping? [​IMG]

9. redheadfarmer

redheadfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2011
    SW Ontario
    Quote:[​IMG]

10. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:She has got to go. is she eating and drinking then she has to poop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by