First Night of Chickies being outside!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RedHead, Mar 6, 2009.

1. RedHead

RedHead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    East Lake, NC
    I finally finished the inside of the coop today and put the chickies out there.. I'm sure everything's fine and they seemed happy with their new digs. But hubby and I just killed a 'possum that was getting too close to the coop (needless to say he's in the kitchen sink now [​IMG]) Anyways, Maybe I'm just worrying about them too much, but I even put their heat lamp out there so they don't get too chilled. They're 2 months old now and have their feathers, but I still can't help but worry lol. Hubby thinks I'm going to lay an egg here soon [​IMG] Anyways, I swear I keep hearing them peeping but they're not in the house and every time I've gone outside and checked on them they're just doing their normal 'cooing' that they do when they sleep. [​IMG] I just need to know if I'm the only one having this anxiety about them going outside finally. LoL Dunno if I posted this in the right place, If not I apologize. Anyone else out there hearing the '' ghost peeping'' and worrying??
    Sorry so long!

2. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    You are not alone. And the best thing to do to help you with the anxiety is hatch more chickens....[​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If they are two months old, they'll be fine.

Don't worry, be happy.

What are you going to do with the opossum?

4. RedHead

Jan 22, 2009
    East Lake, NC
    clean it, cook it and eat it [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I found some promising recipes online...Appearantly it's similar to cleaning and cooking a pig? [​IMG]
    We'll see though [​IMG]

5. Tricia's Triple Z

Tricia's Triple Z Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2007
    Let us know...sounds interestion

6. gallo34

gallo34 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2009
    raise your lab with the chickens...he will take good care of them...get some sleep they will be fine:D

7. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Awwwww poor possum [​IMG]

8. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Good luck eating the opossum....I have and it was NASTY!!! I love them as pets, though. [​IMG] As for the babies, the best thing you can do for your sanity is a baby monitor!!! Seriously!! I worry myself sick about the babies when they go out. They seem so tiny and helpless. I guess they aren't, but I am a worrier!!!

9. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sure I'll be out at the coop every hour all night long when I finally let my babies stay out. I don't think I'll sleep much that first night. [​IMG] Mine are out during the day, but I bring them back in to sleep in their brooder every night...LOL.

10. RedHead

Jan 22, 2009
    East Lake, NC
    Well the night is over with, and I barely slept LoL
    I got up at like 3am and ran outside to check on em and they were fine. LoL
    I like the baby monitor idea, I'll try to go get one.. At least that way I'll know their fine, that and I kinda miss waking up to the cheeping already lol
    And as far as training my lab with them, I've already been doing that and so far so good, although with him teething and being uber playful I'm not turning my back on him with them for a second. Anyways, I reckon it's ''chicken room'' cleaning time today, I think I need coffee first though... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by