First Night Out All night...

Quail_Antwerp

[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs
11 Years
Aug 16, 2008
Ohio
hit.gif
My chicks from Meyer are almost a month old, so we made the decision to move their brooder outside to another coop. They are still separate from the other chickens, perfectly safe in their brooder, and it's warm.

I am just nervous about it because they have grown up soooo fast and now they have "moved out" of the home and I am having "empty nest" syndrome!

hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

LOL, the first night I put my 9 chicks outside I must have checked on them a dozen times! I was sure the coop was secure, plus they were inside their brooder (large plastic dog crate)... I just "had" to keep checking on them! Oh, and yes, I AM brand new to the world of chickens and ducks
tongue.png
. Please tell me this will get easier in time...

I remember stressing about putting my first batch of babies out in the coop, they were only two weeks old, and I secured the coop really well, but it still made me super anxious. I totally prefer brooding in the coop rather than in my basement, though--so much easier!

And yes, it did get easier for me over time as they grew (I started with chickens. ducks and geese.)

Well they did ok. Everyone was happy to see me coming with their breakfast this morning.

I was SO worried about my first babies
jumpy.gif
to go outside.The cold, predators, the cold, pecking order stuff, and the cold were only some of the things I worried about. They all come out okay in the end, don't you worry!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
When I got my first babies I was practically sleeping with them. Mine were just over a month old when I put them in their coop with their brooder. I left the brooder open so they could explore the coop but kept the pop door closed for the first few days. Then I opened the pop door and let them out into their run with the run gate closed for another month, then let them out into the yard. I had them in the winter so I always left on a red heat lamp that they could get under to warm up.

I am also faced that type of problems by my chickens. I had done what you said and its worked. There was improvement in laying eggs also.
---------------
Ricky Conway
Foreclosed Homes

Back
Top Bottom