First Night Out for Baby Chicks.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MurrayCove, Jun 16, 2008.

1. MurrayCove

MurrayCove Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2008
    HI folks. I am leaving my 3 wk old chicks..10 of them out for the first time tonight. I have been leaving them out in their run for the day time for the past week. They do so love it out there where the can run about. It rained here today for about 20 mins....and it came on so quickly that I could not get them out of the run and into the house without getting them more wet than if I left them, but did go out and check with my umbrella..ha..and they were in their house all huddled together and dry...just waiting it out. I know they are a little young to be out there on their own, but I live in south Georgia. It is in the 90s during the day here and goes down to mid 70s at night. The house and run are fenced and the whole thing is inside of a fenced area. I think about the only thing that could get to them would be a sneaky snake, but other than that, I believe they are secure. They are well feathered even at this young age. New Hampshire reds...hens all. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    As long as you coop is strong and predator proof they should be fine. I would try and make sure that the snakes cant get in either. They can kill chicks and as your chickens grow the snakes may come in for them and the eggs.

3. MurrayCove

Jun 10, 2008
    Thanks. I solved my problem by taking out their brooder box and putting it in the chicken house, putting the chicks into it, c overing it with the screen and securing the whole thing with a bungee cord. Now the only preditors that could get to them would have to posess opposable thumbs.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  4. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Great you will all sleep better now. [​IMG]

5. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    I kinda did the same thing mine were about 3 1/2 weeks old when I put them in their pen I put their rubbermaid tub in there with them.. it was funny tonght I went out there and they are getting so big they were all pushing to get in the tub for sleeping.

6. MurrayCove

Jun 10, 2008
    Morning after follow up. All the babies survived the night and when I went out this morning, they were all peeping wildly when they saw me....all demanding to be set free...at least thats how I heard it...hahaha! Then all running and flying and jumping wildly. I admit to going out several times in the night with my flashlight to check on them.[​IMG] I am worse than a first time mother.[​IMG]

7. karenleigh

karenleigh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2008
    Hickory, NC
    Did you put light on them at night out there to keep them warm? I'm waiting on babies and trying to learn all I can before they get here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by