1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First night out!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tarragon, May 11, 2011.

1. tarragon

tarragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Bothell, WA
    Well, after a day of furious hammering and drilling, we got the coop done!! The little ladies were outside all day supervising the work and are spending their first night outside. Oh my! Of course I had a meeting, so my hubby had to tuck them in, mommy wasn't here to do it. [​IMG] Apparently they raised quite a fuss at first, well, mostly Johnny. She is the big baby of the group. But when I got home from my meeting at 10 and went outside to check on them (bet none of you saw THAT coming [​IMG]) all was silent. I have a feeling I'll be waking up earlier than usual tomorrow.

2. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    it's my babies first time out too! i've been checking on them constantly... but all seems to be okay right now. i've got a light put up for them, only a 75 watt bulb and it's not touching anything, seems okay. and they've got several inches of shavings to play/sleep in. so far they've been dusting themselves with them and not sleeping... still, gonna miss them pecking at my feet during the night! (their brooder sits up against the bottom of my bed, it's an old rabbit cage so they can peck at my toes through the bars, lol!)

3. Huldras chicks

Huldras chicks New Egg

May 11, 2011
    Soo not looking forward to this.. We have 6 (27 ish day old) little girls that are out growing the brooder but not sure if the coop ( thanks to my DH) will be done till the weekend or mid next week. They love being out in the large run in the afternoon with myself and my daughter but the thought of them out overnight is a bit scary.

4. tarragon

tarragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Bothell, WA
    Well, they seem to be fine this morning. My hubby let them out into the run before he left for work, so I don't know how they seemed when he first went out. I wonder if they used their new ramp.....
    I didn't put out a light for them, but Johnny survived the big scary darkness. [​IMG]

5. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Haha! I hate putting my babies out, but they gotta go somtime!

Good luck!

Last edited: May 11, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by