First night out!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Shane17, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Shane17

Shane17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2012
    i have 8 chicks which are 15 days old today. I have been taking them out for a hew hours a day for about a week now. Yesterday I took them out when I left for work at 6am and put them in the run/coop area. Today I did the same but now i think am going to leave them out and see how it goes. The weather here in central Va has been unseasonably warm the last week and highs well into the 70's and lows in mid 50's are being predicted into next week. I placed there 250 watt heat lamp in the coop and secured it so they cannot knock it down or over. I plan to run this for them thorough the nights for the next couple weeks. Is this a bad idea or should they be fine..Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.[​IMG]

2. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Are they enclosed in the coop or allowed to come and go? Could be cold if someone gets left out as they need to be warm at that age.

3. Cotton42

Cotton42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2012
    St. Louis, Missouri
    We waited until ours were mostly feathered, about 4 weeks, to put them out in the coop full-time. I think 15 days is a little early, but since it's warm and you have the heat lamp in there, they should be ok.

4. Shane17

Shane17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2012
    yeah actually i had a brain fart!! the chicks are 23 days old!! Not 15.. they spent the night out last night and all are fine. checked on them this morning and there all piled up together sleeping![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by