First night out

Scottish-Hen

In the Brooder
May 15, 2015
Scottish Borders UK
Our outside nursery coop and run was completed today so the chicks and mama are outside. They seem to have had a great time all day but at roost time they just snuggled under mama in a corner outside. I'm the run.

Being very nervous of this I moved them into the coop part (that was a pantomime and a half ... Three chicks in, one chick out, mama hen in, 2 chicks out, 4 chicks in, mama hen out... You get the picture. Anyway. They are all inside now and hopefully will settle down soon. I noticed before this hen had chicks she's sleep in the nesting box and not roost so when I left her she was sorting it to her liking - I just hope I've not moved them too soon - novice panicking I think. We've had rescue hens for years but baby chicks.... Oooo so new!!!!!
4764dc034d70c4cceda1f5f61da12299.jpg
435ddec85bc95389839f6af0a1a6cca7.jpg
28364a36d52c1b9908e5d3042a4b5437.jpg
b

Hope they're ok tomorrow!

Scottish Hen

Scottish-Hen

In the Brooder
May 15, 2015
Scottish Borders UK
Just been out to let the chicks and Mystie (mama hen) out... I could hear them having a good run around in the coop but the minute my shadow appeared they hid under mum. I opened the door and waited for someone to appear at the ramp. Nothing! I checked the nest box and they're all under Mama. However after checking the nest box and waiting another 5 minutes in a bitter wind I heard lots of excited cheeps along with Mysties very definite warning squalk. She wasn't happy with whatever was going on inside. Then 9 wee faces appear at the door - almost like "you go first" " no! You go first!" Lol. Sunshine (one of the yellow chicks) then launched herself (she looks girly so far!) out the door. She managed down the first part of the ramp using her wings to slow her down then she just slid flapping away (although she didn't seem in distress). When she got to the bottom she looked up at the others and cheeped but noting but squalks from Mama and chirping from the rest. Sunshine then ran to the water and started drinking - well that , was it! Mass exodus!! I really wished I'd taped it... They were coming downing forwards, backwards, sideways, surfing on each other. A few actually jumped from the door a flew down ( my heart was in my mouth but they were ok!) then Mystie tried to come down.... She didn't cope very well at all.

I'm wondering if we should raise the ramp a bit to a block so it's not as steep and have a secondary ramp to come down. When they get to the main coop they will just jump/step up into it.

Daddy has been next to the nursery run ever since we put Mystie back out - don't know if he's being a proud dad or if he's hoping to 'get some' sine Greycie (our other hen) is broody. He a randy dandy!!

drumstick diva

Still crazy after all these years.
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Aug 26, 2009
Out to pasture
How old are they? You mentioned a bitter wind, they could get badly chilled. I hope mama is okay if she had a problem going down. Is she eating and drinking well or not leaving the babies? You may need to either have a longer ramp, so the angle is less steep or have the two level ramp you mentioned. Maybe the ramp is too slippery for them. Some babies don't like ramps with no sides to them - must be pretty scary to young'uns, especially going down head first.

I would love to see photos of them. What breeds are they? Now I see the photos - YES that ramp is very, very steep. Cant you put some rubber treads on it to give them better footing, it is too steep and slippery, they could injure their legs and feet.

Scottish-Hen

In the Brooder
May 15, 2015
Scottish Borders UK
Yes I think I have some rubber matting or even sand paper I could use. When I say bitter wind it's not like an icy wind... I was out in my nightgown
263a.png
. Thanks for suggestion on the ramp!

They are all eating great and mama is very VERY protective of her babies. They are just past 3 and a half weeks old. Im just about to go check on them just now and make sure all is ok.

Scottish-Hen

In the Brooder
May 15, 2015
Scottish Borders UK
How old are they?  You mentioned a bitter wind,  they could get badly chilled. I hope mama is okay if she had a problem going down. Is she eating and drinking well or not leaving the babies?  You may need to either have a longer ramp, so the angle is less steep  or have the two level ramp you mentioned.   Maybe the ramp is too slippery for them.  Some babies don't like ramps with no sides to them - must be pretty scary to young'uns, especially going down head first.

I would love to see photos of them.  What breeds are they? Now I see the photos - YES that ramp is very, very steep.  Cant you put some rubber treads on it to give them better footing,  it is too steep and slippery, they could injure their legs and feet.

I've popped them back in the coop - some were exploring but very close to mama and most were snuggling.
1f614.png

It was a battle to get them in the coop but managed it. They are in there with food and water and I'll let them out later on maybe or tomorrow
1f615.png

Top Bottom