First night outside - did great! :)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by teach1rusl, Mar 16, 2011.

1. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Last night was the first night out in their new coop for my little (2-3 wks.) chicks. They've been bursting with energy in the house brooder, and needed more space. I've been taking them out over the past few days to spend a few hours in there (with a lamp of course [​IMG]), and since last night was only supposed to get down to 40, with a warming trend on the way, I figured I'd just leave them out there.

The remote thermometer showed that it was maintaining (plus or minus a degree or two) about 85 under the lamp. I only woke up ONCE to check on them [​IMG], and they were just fine!! Not directly under the lamp, and not piled, but in a little line circling the lamps rays, shoulders touching. And this morning, when hubby peeked in, they were all up and about running around.

It's kind of a relief to have them out of the house (the mess), but I sure missed hearing their peeps when I got up this morning... [​IMG]

PS - their coop looks really spooky, with dark red light glowing from the windows and vents...hehee.

2. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Last night was my 3 week old chicks first night in the outside brooder as well. [​IMG] They also did phenomonally well and I while I am happy they are out of the house, it is sad that I can't just peak in on them every time I walk through the house lol.

3. HenMamma

HenMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2008
    Emmet TWP, MI
    I always stress over putting the chicks out the first time. Hubby is always "urging" me to get them out of the house, but it is hard letting them go. Then, after the first night of worrying, I take a deep breathe and think, why in the world didn't I just put them out? There have never been any problems for me to believe that they won't be alright.

Congrats on getting them out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by