First night outside for my baby silkies...PICS added***

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dwegg, Dec 11, 2011.

1. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

My 9 silkies are 9 weeks old and more than ready to go outside but I still worry about them. I put them out today into the silkie coop with my two older silkies (I think maybe both boys). These two older silkies have been so sweet and gentle to the new babies and they are all peeping around together like they have all always been together.

Now for everyone to have a nice cozy first night together. They do have a little heat lamp out in the coop for them as well so with 11 chickens piled up I am sure they will all be warm and safe.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  2. Wife With 2 Kids

Wife With 2 Kids Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2011
    Im not entirely sure but don't you have to introduce the babies to the other chickens before joining them together if they aren't with thier mumma?
    Good luck to you tho - post picis of your babies [​IMG]

3. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I've done the same thing with silkies (but wouldn't dream of doing it with any other breed!).

We had 3 silkie hens and a silkie roo adopt several hatchery silkie chicks a couple of years ago. It was the sweetest thing. The hens were super interested in the babies (brooded them outside, it was in July) and we would supervise and let them see the chicks. We were shocked when the hens started showing them how to scratch and were calling for them. We finally just let them all out together when the chicks were about 2 weeks old and it worked flawlessly. The hens even allowed the chicks to snuggle under them at night.

4. johnson215

johnson215 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2011
    bunnlevel, nc
    good luck! i get my silkies in may can't wait they are so sweet

5. dwegg

oh I did sit there with them all in the run BUT I knew that the silkies would be fine...they are such gentle birds...

it was my little splash boy (2 months old) that was jumping at and facing off to the big blue roo...lol...and my 5 month old white girl was very sweet to all the chicks...everyone was fine this morning and it was still dark when I checked on them and feed everyone but they still all got up and came out. They all had breakfast together so i am happy.

6. johnson215

johnson215 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2011
    bunnlevel, nc
    glad to hear they did well. [​IMG]

7. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Silkies seem to be way more tolerant and gentle with the new babies.

My other LF breeds will sometimes peck or chase the babies, but my Silkies never do.

[​IMG]

8. dwegg

yes silkies are as sweet as everyone says...that is why I have decided to have a separate coop just for silkies...everyone has settled in so quickly and I am so happy they are enjoying their new home.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the babies checking out what the big girls are doing...you can really tell the size difference between the babies and the big girls...
    [​IMG]

here is the little splash boy (2 months) with his bigger room mate (3 months)
    [​IMG]

9. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    Love the pics! [​IMG] They look so happy! [​IMG]

10. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Wow that is great to hear how sweet they can be to other chicks, I have 8 grown silkie hens, 7 of which hatched out silkie eggs last spring, One, her name is showboat, had 8 chicks the others all had two, and one had just one chick, All of the Silkies Co-Mothered all of the chicks except Showboat she is an excellent Mommy, but she was NOT going to let another chick under her wing, I guess she felt 8 was enough, She is also the one that challenges me when I walk into her pen everytime, its really bad but its kinda cute at the same time. First she puts up her hackles just like a roo and tries to kick me and when that doesn't make me back down she squats for me I just pat her back and walk on and she is fine. She is the top hen in a pen of all girls so that probably has something to do with it. She is very good to her own chicks, but pecked one little chick bloody once, in the side of the face, because it got confused when it was bed time and went with all of Showboat chicks which was a mistake, (the chick is fine now and grown well about 2 months old) I just took her out cleaned her up and put her back with her real Momma. After that Ebony (pecked chicks mom) kept the baby away from Showboat completely. The others all give showboat and her clutch of 8 first shot at the food because Showboat will chase the other hens and their chicks away from it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by