First night outside

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Laura78, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Laura78

Laura78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Snohomish County, WA
    Well, I put my eleven 6 week old chicks spent their first night outside. I had them in with my older hen and she's really become taken with them. Last night I put them to bed at dusk and the hen walked in then all the pullets followed her, closed them up and went inside for dinner. I checked on them at 10:30 and couldn't see them at first, small coop with open top. But I did hear them, so I took a stick and started prodding the nesting boxes that I couldn't see into. Found them all in one nesting box behind the feeder with the hen at the opening trying to cover them all with her wings. Tonight I'll take my camera and try to get a picture.

2. Gloria

Gloria Chillin' With My Peeps

Ohh, that's so sweet! I just put my 9 week olds out in the coop last night too, with the grown ups. But I leave them in the brooder so everyone gets to know each other before I set them free.

Yes, want to see baby pics!

3. Laura78

Laura78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Snohomish County, WA
    Quote:I had her inside for a few days and right next to them. They did fine together. So I let them outside for a while yesterday and let them play while I watched. Right now they're in a temp coop while we build their big one so it's smaller than I want, but it'll do for now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by