first night outside

stargazingmommy

Songster
9 Years
Apr 19, 2011
Spokane
oy my sanity will be in question come morning...My chicks and ducklings are spending their first night outside in the coop. It's supposed to get down to 39 degrees F, but they have a good 6" of bedding and a heat lamp, as well as each other...I've already been out to check on them 4 time. in 3 hrs.
I'm pathetic. And out to check again.

While my outside temps are not so extreme, we are having some chilly nights here. I cheated and put my 1 day old and 4 day old chicks outside with an organic space heater.
wink.png

Don't feel too bad. I've been doing the same thing as you. Illinois/Indiana isn't being very kind to us as far as temps go. Now if I could just stop talking about bringing them all in maybe my co-workers wouldn't look at me like I'm insane....
big_smile.png

We went through that last year and will be doing it again in a week. It's times like that I'm thankful for a big ole' window in the front of our coop! I pour a glass of wine and watch them from the dining room. Try to sleep....they will be fine.

I know the feeling. I've had mine outside for weeks but I still check on them. I have three 5 day old D'uccles in the brooder outside, nice and warm with a light but I think of every possible scenario. LOL

I guess being new to the whole chicken thing and having kept them in the house, I feel like they are my "kids". We're both in our 50's and were empty nesters...LOL (not anymore, we now added chickens!!)
D.gif

They survived and I survived and I slept.
When I went out I got lots of cheeps and made to feel guilty for leaving them alone all night. As a treat I made them oatmeal with raisens. Im their best friend now

If they associate you with treats, they'll cheep like crazy every time they see you. Little beggars that they are...
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom