1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First night outside :(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dodgersmomma, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Dodgersmomma

Dodgersmomma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    Tonight is my babies first night outside in the coop, they are fenced off from the other chickens and they are off the ground but I am still worried. They are 8 weeks old but are still kinda small (the 2 mixed breeds are small) I want to go check on them but I know i shouldn't. Can someone tell me how to cope with it. It worries me because they are so small and we live in the woods (bring on the owles, cyots, coons, and opossums)

2. ScottyHOMEy

ScottyHOMEy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Waldo County, Maine
    Quote:I'm surrounded by woods, too, with the potential for all the critters with foul (fowl [​IMG] ) intentions (-- in fairness, only their natures).

If your coop is tight, I'd encourage you to sleep well. Yeah, it's a change for them. My chicks are brooded in the garage where, even after ther's no need for the heat lamp, they still have the indirect light of the 24/7 lamps over my workbench at night. By way of adjusting them to darkness, I've got in the practice of hanging a low-wattage drop lamp in their new quarters the first two or three nights, and then moving the light outside the window on the coop for a couple of more nights before abandoning the light altogether.

If you're tight against the predators, they'll be fine.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by