First night outside

Tonight is our first night. Dont know if I screwed up or not. Did not put them in the coop, put directly into the run. They huddled into the corner for a while, but soon started digging and scratching for bugs and worms. Very happy. I tried to put them in the coop at dark, but they kept coming out in the run. They are bedding in the run. I know it wont hurt them, but i guess I should have put them in the coop a couple days then let them out in the run. I may put a small light in the coop tomorrow to see if they will go into it at dark

Tonight is our first night. Dont know if I screwed up or not. Did not put them in the coop, put directly into the run. They huddled into the corner for a while, but soon started digging and scratching for bugs and worms. Very happy. I tried to put them in the coop at dark, but they kept coming out in the run. They are bedding in the run. I know it wont hurt them, but i guess I should have put them in the coop a couple days then let them out in the run. I may put a small light in the coop tomorrow to see if they will go into it at dark

Good luck!:) Hopefully they'll go in at dark.

Any way
anyway to close off the run?

If it makes anybody feel better I still get freaked out if I hear the slightest noise. My poor husband has to go check on them with a flashlight more often than not. They always end up ok, but you just never know. :)

Just went out and checked on them. They were all huddled up in a corner under the coop. Nice and bright inside the coop but nooo. I went under the coop and grabbed them one by one and put them in the coop. They seemed at ease. Hopefully they will stay inside all night. Gonna check on them in a couple hours.

Any way
anyway to close off the run?
Yes. I can close it off but it is so hot and humid here. Guess you mean to leave them inside a couple days. Read that and thought about it but the heat index gets over 100 degrees with the humidity. Gonna keep putting them inside every night and hope they will eventually do it on their on. They have never been inside the coop. Should have put them in it then let them go into the run. They think the run is their new home. They slept in the corner under the coop last night. I put a light inside today on a timer. Hoped they would find their way inside without my help, but was wrong. Guess i will have to be consistent and time will tell

Making a little success. Sat outside with them this afternoon and it started to happen. Just as it was starting to get dark, The 2 Light Brown Leghorns went into the coop. The 2 BA and one RIR followed. 3 Barred rock and one RIR left. Picked up 2 BR and put them inside. The other knew they were not where they were supposed to be. After pacing and chirping a while, they finally went into the coop on their own. Yeah, all in the coop. Getting better. Know to finish painting and touching up when all these afternoon showers ease up.

@charterchick your dog sounds like mine lol....the chickens did awesome outside last night I checked on them at 2:00 when I let our new puppy out and again this morning before work and they look so much happier!!! I found it cute when they heard my voice this morning they got all excited and came to me
smile.png
#feelingspecial
Are they going into the coop at night on their own or staying in the run? Thats my problem but they are learning. Most of them anyway

Back
Top Bottom