First night with a baby duck

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by new duck mom, Mar 17, 2013.

1. new duck mom

new duck mom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2013
    Texas
    Help !!!! This will be our first night with the baby duck and he freaks out when I set him down! Am I even supposed to hold him? He cuddles like my kids did as babies

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Maybe if you gave him a small stuffed animal, he could cuddle with that and let you live in peace for awhile. I know with chicks, they give them a mirror also, so they think they aren't alone. I imagine that would work for ducklings also.[​IMG]

3. new duck mom

Mar 17, 2013
    Texas
    Thank u for replying, I'm new in here and it's kinda confusing. I put a small one in there but he doesn't seem to notice. Will he freak out all night or do I just let him sleep with me?

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from Kansas, new duck mom, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our flock! Sounds like your duck is really imprinted on you!

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Do you only have one? Ducklings really need buddies at all times.

6. new duck mom

Mar 17, 2013
    Texas
    Only one, should I get him a friend? I didn't buy this one, he found us but if he would be less lonely should I buy one too?

7. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    I would get him a friend and while your at a nice pair of ear plugs. I raise ducklings a lot and I wouldn't trade it for anything but boy can they be loud! It also helps not to visit them before your bedtime.

8. new duck mom

Mar 17, 2013
    Texas
    Um when I shouldn't visit them before bed does that mean he shouldn't sleep by my bed? He just was so pittiful. He was in his Ben but I heard a small dog carrier is good?

9. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Ducks are very social animals and do better if raised with other ducks - another duckling the same age would be ideal.

10. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Small dog carriers work well if they are not plastic. Plastic has always melted on me under the brooder light. Sleeping with is and is not a good idea. Tonight if you don't he will only peep louder! The best thing to do would be to let him cry and DONT visit. You may just have to out wait him. Hence the earplugs. It can be hard but if you don't want a duck in your bed then it needs to be done!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by