First night without heat

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hispoptart, May 3, 2011.

1. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    My chicks are almost six weeks, it's still to cold here at night to put them outside, but I have been weaning them off the heat lamp. Last night I turned it off. Oh what a ruckus they made at first. I don't believe they were cold, because they were not all huddled together. I think they were afraid of the dark. LOL They finally settled down. Checked on them this morning and they are all sleeping soundly. They are not huddled, just sleeping close by each other. Since they made it fine all night without the light do I need to turn it back on anymore?

thanks

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Probably not, but since my chicks seem to really enjoy basking in the red glow, I allowed them several hours a day of artificial light.

3. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    At 6 weeks, definitely not. And they would be ready to go outside, except now they are accustomed to the warmth so I would do it gradually, day visits at first.

4. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    Thanks, they are awake now and doing just fine. It's still getting down in the low 20's here and even had a couple of mornings where it was 18, so not sure if they can handle that yet, but It supposed to be quite nice this next couple of days so I will start taking them outside for a bit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by