First No Shell Egg and Rough Shell Egg???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChirpyChicks1, Aug 26, 2013.

1. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Hello all :) So I officially have 4 laying chickens (out of 6) Tonight while putting the girls to bed I found egg #3 in the nesting boxes. It's extremely rough, just like sand paper and fairly light brown. Is this anything to be worried about?

My girls will be 20 weeks in just a few days and have been on layer feed for a couple of weeks.

[​IMG]

I found this egg in their "swimming pool" I created because of the heatwave we're in right now. I really think this shell-less egg is from the brand new layer based on the time and location I found the other eggs. I know it's "normal" so I'm not concerned about this egg, just wanted to share :)

[​IMG]

2. amberscave

amberscave Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2013
    North Central Florida
    I've had the rough, light colored "first" egg, I've never seen the shell less egg - eww LOL
    Curious, what breed?

3. ChirpyChicks1

Jul 22, 2013
    I have all brown egg layers:

2 black sex links - one I've seen lay an egg, and lays often
    2 red sex links - I'm 99% one is my chicken who has been laying the longest, the other RSL is not even squatting
    2 barred rocks - normally all of my eggs are in one nesting box, this morning one of my BRs was playing around in another box and later in the day I found an egg in that box so I'm fairly certain it's her

I got to thinking,even though I got eggs from my normal two layers today, could one of them have laid again, resulting in this shell-less egg?

4. amberscave

Aug 25, 2013
    North Central Florida
    I think one of my red sex links did the weird rough egg too.

You can add some oyster shell to their diet.

I also feed the old shells back to them. Mine are free range and get layer feed throughout the day (every time I go the barn they beg and I'm a sucker).

5. ChirpyChicks1

Jul 22, 2013
    Any advice on the rough egg? Only got two eggs today and both were normal

6. amberscave

Aug 25, 2013
    North Central Florida
    I would just pour on the layer feed and give them a week or so to get the "hang" of laying. I also feed mine a lot of table scraps. They will eat just about ANYTHING. Once my girls starting laying, you can drop their eggs and they wont crack! I am worried about the ones I have in the incubator. Might need to help them out of those hard shells :O

You can probably cut back the layer feed once they start producing steady. I think they just need to start building up the right ingredients, etc. If you see the eggs get weak again, add more feed.

7. ChirpyChicks1

Jul 22, 2013
    Thanks but I'm not worried about the no sell egg. I want to know what is up with the sand paper like egg. I've done research and haven't found any answers. Hoping someone will see this and give their thoughts. Surely my chicken is the only one to lay a sand paper egg.

8. amberscave

Aug 25, 2013
    North Central Florida
    I think it's the same problem. They just haven't gotten the hang of it yet. Mine did one or two at first and are fine now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by